Light and tender pancakes made from scratch and loaded with fresh juicy blueberries. These are the fluffiest blueberry pancakes that you will ever try!
Table of Contents
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Although I love regular buttermilk pancakes, this blueberry version made from scratch are my favorite treat to make when blueberries are in season. They are perfect for a Sunday brunch or lazy Saturday morning. Pair them with some crispy bacon and you’ll be enjoying the ultimate breakfast of champions!
We love to make pancakes for breakfast on the weekends. My kids have so much fun helping and constantly request them. Although they taste delicious plain, I’m definitely all about the mix-in’s. Especially during the spring when fresh berries are so juicy and delicious.
These pancakes are so light and tender and loaded with fresh blueberries. They are SUPER fluffy and are seriously my favorite pancakes ever! We love serving them with homemade buttermilk syrup, maple syrup or even more blueberry topping. Just heavenly!
Is it Better to use Fresh or Frozen Blueberries?
Fresh blueberries are a must in my opinion (especially in peak seasons like spring and summer). They taste so much better! However if you’re in a pinch, you can use frozen blueberries. I would just thaw them, run through a strainer with water and then pat dry. If you add them frozen directly to the batter, it will water down the batter and they wont be as fluffy. You can also add them on top of the pancakes after you’ve already poured the batter onto the pan.
Tips + Variations
- Butter your skillet or griddle. For a perfect golden exterior and an added rich flavor, melt some butter in your griddle or skillet before cooking the pancakes.
- Buttermilk. I love to use buttermilk because it makes them extra soft and fluffy. If you don’t have any hand, you can make homemade buttermilk in just 10 minutes. You can also use whole milk instead of buttermilk if you prefer.
- Don’t over mix. Mix the batter just until combined. It’s okay if there are still a few small lumps.
- Bubbles. These are your queue to flip the pancakes. They’ll start to bubble on top, which means they’re ready to flip to the other side.
- Keep warm. To keep them warm without drying out, place the pancakes on a baking sheet in the oven at 175°F until serving.
- Lemon variation. If you’d like to make lemon blueberry pancakes, simply add in 1 lemon, zested and juiced. The lemon adds a bright flavor and makes them taste like spring!
Allow pancakes to cool and then place in a large ziptop bag. Place in freezer for use within 2 to 3 months. When ready to eat, reheat in the microwave or toaster oven for 30 seconds. Then top with butter or syrup if desired.
Can’t get enough easy pancake recipes? Add this Swedish pancake or banana pancakes recipe to your breakfast rotation, too!
More Delicious Pancake Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , more for the griddle
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs , whisked
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries , more if desired
For serving: Syrup
- Preheat a griddle to 325°F, or a skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside to cool for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Next add in the buttermilk and butter and stir just until combined. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla, just until most the lumps are gone and the batter is smooth. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Coat the griddle (or skillet) with butter and pour 1/4 cup batter onto the heated griddle. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side for 1 minute, or just until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately or place pancakes on a baking sheet in the oven at 175°F to keep warm.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
These are totally nostalgic for me! Sunday morning breakfasts as a kid and now I make them for my littles! Thanks again for another great recipe!
These are absolutely delicious! I buttered the pan, which was one of your suggestions, and it was wonderful.
A great way to start the day! These pancakes might just make me wake up early to enjoy them.
Looks heavenly! I’d love to make this for breakfast and you got me with blueberries, just perfect!
What a great way to start the day!
These are the perfect pancakes!!!
Wow, these would make for a gorgeous AND delicious breakfast. This makes me crave pancakes hardcore.
Can’t wait to make these for my family! They will love this for breakfast!
What a wonderful way to start the day! I want to load up the blueberries and get one in every bite.