Light, fluffy, homemade chocolate chip pancakes. An indulgent breakfast idea that tastes amazing topped with sliced bananas, peanut butter and syrup.
Table of Contents
Fluffy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
I have a big sweet tooth and love to enjoy indulgent breakfasts on the weekends. These easy chocolate chip pancakes hit the spot, as well as Belgian waffles, french toast or regular or chocolate crepes.
Sometimes you just need an indulgent breakfast and these chocolate chip pancakes fit the bill when you’re craving something sweet! They’re light, fluffy and loaded with rich chocolate chips. Seriously the best recipe out there!
I adapted this recipe from my family’s favorite buttermilk pancakes and I have to say – my kids love this version even more! They request them weekly and eat them right up.
I have even made them into silver dollar pancakes and they are so adorable mini sized!
My favorite way to enjoy these is topped with a little peanut butter, sliced bananas and buttermilk syrup. They’re perfect for birthdays, Mother’s day, Father’s day…you name it. Seriously to die for!
These pantry staples come together quickly to create the ultimate breakfast treat. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can always make your own buttermilk.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Butter: I use unsalted to be able to control the amount of salt in these chocolate chip pancakes.
- Flour: I use all-purpose. Learn how to measure flour without a scale for amazing results every time.
- Sugar: Just a little extra sweetness makes these taste great with or without maple syrup.
- Leavening agents: I use both baking powder and baking soda to add height and airiness.
- Salt: This helps balance and enhance all of the flavors.
- Buttermilk: This adds a little tang, as well as interacts with the leavening agents to make super fluffy pancakes..
- Eggs: The necessary binder that brings it all together.
- Vanilla extract: I love to add a little for a little boost of extra flavor.
- Chocolate chips: You can’t have chocolate chip pancakes without chocolate chips. I like to use mini semi-sweet chocolate or regular milk chocolate.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pancakes
These chocolate chip pancakes couldn’t be easier and take less than 20 minutes to make a batch.
Step 1: Prepare Griddle or Skillet
Preheat a griddle to 325°F or a skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to a microwave-safe bowl and melt in microwave. Set bowl aside to cool for about 3 minutes.
Step 2: Whisk Together Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Next add in the buttermilk and melted butter and stir just until combined. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla, just until most of the lumps are gone and the batter is smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 3: Cook the Pancakes
Coat the griddle (or skillet) with butter and pour 1/4 cup batter on top. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side for 1 minute, or just until lightly browned.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!
Serve pancakes immediately with toppings of choice like butter, sliced bananas, syrup and even more chocolate chips. :) Enjoy!
How to Keep Pancakes Warm
If you aren’t planning on serving these pancakes right away, I have an easy tip that will help keep them warm and fresh. Simply place the cooked pancakes on a baking sheet and place in the oven at 175°F until ready to serve.
This will keep the pancakes just warm enough for serving, but won’t cook them any further. They’ll be perfectly fluffy, moist and ready to enjoy in a matter of seconds. So easy!
There are plenty of delicious toppings to add when serving chocolate chip pancakes. The would all go so well together on a pancake charcuterie board. My absolute favorites are peanut butter, sliced bananas and buttermilk syrup. So, so yummy!
- Fresh or caramelized bananas
- Buttermilk syrup
- Maple syrup
- Peanut butter
- Whipped cream
- Powdered sugar
- More chocolate chips!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can always freeze them before adding to the batter if you really want to stop them from melting. Mixing them in with the flour mixture also helps.
Buttermilk is definitely the secret to fluffy pancakes! The acidity in buttermilk helps to tenderize the pancakes, making them super soft and moist. Plus it helps give them height too, so each bite is perfectly light and airy. Trust me, once you make this version, you won’t go back to regular. They are so fluffy, moist and absolutely delicious.
If you sprinkle the chocolate chips on after the batter has been added to the griddle they will burn. The best way to prevent them from burning is to mix them into the batter.
Another one of my favorite things about these pancakes is that they are super easy to freeze. I often double the recipe and store half in the freezer for an easy grab-and-go breakfast.
To freeze, let pancakes cool completely and then place in a large freezer bag. Store in freezer for use within 2-3 months.
When ready to eat, reheat pancakes in microwave or toaster oven for about 30 seconds or until warm. Top and enjoy!
More Fluffy Pancake Recipes
Chocolate Chip Pancakes Recipe
For serving: Syrup, whipped cream, peanut butter, bananas, strawberries
- Preheat a griddle to 325°F, or a skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside to cool for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and melted butter just until combined. Mix in the eggs and vanilla just until most the lumps are gone and the batter is smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat the griddle (or skillet) with butter and then pour 1/4 cup batter onto the heated griddle. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook 1 minute, or just until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings or place pancakes on a baking sheet in the oven at 175°F to keep warm.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!