Learn how to make buttermilk with these simple tips and tricks! Made in just 10 minutes with only 2 ingredients. Perfect for baked goods, dressings and more!
I love to make my own condiments at home. It’s cost effective and is usually super simple and quick. Buttermilk is one of the condiments that I always make homemade, as well as balsamic glaze, pesto, pizza sauce and BBQ sauce.
Next time you’re out of buttermilk, no need to drop everything and run to the store. You can easily make it at home with just 2 ingredients. And trust me, you won’t believe how simple it is!
Buttermilk seems intimidating to make yourself, but it’s not at all. You only need milk and vinegar to make it and it’s ready in just 10 minutes. So quick and easy!
The taste of buttermilk is sour, so I wouldn’t recommend drinking it (although you can if you want). It’s perfect for baking and keeps your baked goods super soft and moist. It’s also great to use in condiments like dressings or syrup. I love using it when making pancakes, buttermilk syrup, blueberry buttermilk cake, homemade biscuits, Irish soda bread and ranch dressing.
What is buttermilk?
If you find yourself asking, “what exactly is buttermilk?” – the answer is simple! Buttermilk is a dairy product made with 2 simple ingredients: milk and vinegar. It’s taste is sour and it usually has a thicker texture than regular milk, but is lower in fat. It’s often used as a leavening agent in baking and helps to lighten and soften baked goods.
What does buttermilk do in baking?
It’s all about the texture! The acidity in the buttermilk helps to tenderize baked goods, keeping them super moist and soft. It will also keep your baked goods from browning too fast because of how it changes the pH!
How do you make buttermilk?
Making homemade buttermilk may sound intimidating, but it is SO easy! It only takes 10 minutes and hardly requires any work. Just follow the simple steps below to get started. Scroll down for the printable buttermilk recipe.
- Combine ingredients and let sit. In a small bowl, add milk and vinegar. Stir together let sit for 10 minutes.
- Check if ready, then stir again. Once the top has curdled, it’s ready to use as buttermilk. Stir together before using.
What is buttermilk used for?
Buttermilk can be used so many different ways! It’s perfect for baking and also makes a great addition to condiments such as dressings and syrup. Below are a few of my favorite ways to use it, but the options are endless!
- Cakes and cupcakes: Blueberry buttermilk cake and pink velvet cupcakes
- Breakfast: Biscuits, pancakes, waffles and buttermilk syrup
- Bread: Irish soda bread and lemon blueberry zucchini bread
- Muffins: Apple snickerdoodle muffins and corn dog muffins
- Dressings: Ranch dressing and cilantro lime dressing
How long does homemade buttermilk last?
Buttermilk can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week until ready to use. To store, place in the fridge in a covered container.
- 1 cup whole milk , or 2% milk
- 1 Tablespoon distilled vinegar , or lemon juice
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Stir together and let sit for 10 minutes. Once the top has curdled it is ready to use as buttermilk.
- Stir together before using.