Hands down the BEST homemade bolognese sauce ever! The flavors in this sauce are unreal and it will soon become your new go to sauce for pasta night!
This spaghetti bolognese is what dreams are made of. Seriously! Take one bite and you’ll think you are dining in a fancy restaurant in Italy. It tastes so amazing, that I had one bowl and had to go back for another. I could have eaten it all on it’s own. The flavors are SO good! I’m telling you, you have to make this sauce. So much better than the canned stuff. It comes together pretty quickly as well. Serve over your favorite pasta (we love it over spaghetti noodles or zoodles).
This bolognese recipe has all of your favorite ingredients such as fire roasted tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar, half and half and wine (or you can substitute for pomegranate juice like I did). The flavors marinate so well together and once you make this recipe you won’t ever go back to your old one.
This bolognese recipe comes from my friend Jessica’s (How Sweet Eats) AMAZING new cookbook: The Pretty Dish. It’s filled with 150 brand-new recipes (that take less than 60 minutes to make), along with themed menus, party ideas, killer playlists, and inventive beauty projects. It is such a fun book and I can’t wait to try more recipes (and ALL of the beauty masks). Every page is absolutely gorgeous!! I love when cookbooks have full page photos, don’t you?
The best part about this recipe is that it’s made in one pot. The longer it cooks, the more flavor that comes out. So much flavor!
This sauce also makes a lot, so we always end up freezing half for another time. Simply place the leftovers in a zip top bag and then let it cool. Press flat and then store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, let thaw in the refrigerator over night and then reheat on low on the stovetop or in the slow cooker. Perfect for a busy night.
Looking for more pasta recipes, try these:
- Creamy caprese pasta
- One pot caprese pasta
- Easy spaghetti sauce
- World’s best lasagna
- Easy homemade alfredo
The BEST homemade bolognese sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion diced (about 1 cuped)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt + pinch
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork or pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup dry red wine I used pomegranate juice
- 2 cans 14 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can 28-ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan
- In a large pot , melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Increase the heat to medium and add the beef and pork. Remove any excess grease. Add in the remaining teaspoon of salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Next add the brown sugar, half-and-half, wine (or pomegranate juice), diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and parmesan. Stir well and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 20 minutes. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.