Filled with delicious layers of noodles, creamy ricotta cheese filling and a flavorful beef tomato sauce. This easy lasagna recipe will become an instant hit with your family!
Table of Contents
Classic Homemade Lasagna
If there’s anything that screams comfort food to me, it’s lasagna. Whether it’s this classic homemade version, lasagna soup or even fun variations like these lasagna roll ups, it makes the perfect meal that the whole family will love.
Lasagna is one my favorite comfort foods. I mean, is there anything better than multiple layers of noodles, sauce and cheese? I don’t think so!
Not only is this easy lasagna recipe super flavorful and delicious, but it’s perfect for family get togethers, Sunday dinners and is a great dish to take to a friend. We love to serve it with a salad and garlic bread to make the ultimate meal.
This easy lasagna recipe is a family favorite and is especially loved by my kids. If you’re looking for a true authentic Italian lasagna, this probably isn’t it. With 4 little ones, I try to make things easy on myself and not make a recipe with 20+ ingredients. Maybe one day!
This easy lasagna recipe may not have as many ingredients as traditional lasagna, but it doesn’t skimp on flavor.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Meat: I prefer to use a mix of ground beef and ground Italian sausage for the best flavor in this easy lasagna recipe. Feel free to use ground beef only if you would prefer not to include pork.
- Noodles: No-boil lasagna noodles are a dream to work with as you don’t have to do anything before adding them to the dish.
- Cheese: Three types of cheese are included in this recipe for easy lasagna recipe: ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- Basil: I like to use fresh basil in the ricotta filling, but you can also use dried if that is all you have on hand.
- Spaghetti sauce: Use a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce or make homemade marinara sauce if you’re really trying to impress your guests!
- Egg: Used as a binder in the cheese filling so that it holds it’s shape and stays firm.
- Italian seasoning: An easy way to add more Italian flavor to this dish. Use a store-bought jar or make your own homemade Italian seasoning with a simple mix of spices.
- Garlic: A few cloves go a long way to adding just the right amount of flavor to the meat.
- Onion: Freshly chopped onions cook with the beef and sausage as they brown to add even more flavor.
Rather make this easy lasagna recipe in the slow cooker? Check out my easy crockpot lasagna instructions. It’s perfect for busy weeknights.
How to Make Easy Lasagna
Follow these simple steps below to make this easy lasagna recipe your next dinner.
- Prepare the sauce. In a pan over medium-heat, brown the hamburger and sausage with the onions. Drain and then add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup water (if desired). Let simmer for 15 minutes, then season to taste.
- Make the ricotta filling. While the sauce simmers, whisk the egg in a medium bowl. Then add in ricotta and basil. Set aside.
- Assemble the lasagna. Spread about 1 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of the 9×13-inch pan. Place 4 noodles on the bottom of the pan. Then spread about 2/3 cup of cheese filling on top. Top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan cheese over top. Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Bake in Oven. Sprinkle remaining cup of mozzarella on top. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven at 375°F for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Use no boil noodles. I like to use no boil noodles to make this easy lasagna recipe even easier, however you can boil regular noodles as well, just make sure not to overcook them. You could even use cooked spaghetti noodles instead of lasagna noodles similar to my million dollar spaghetti casserole.
- Add extra veggies. You can absolutely sneak in extra vegetables. Just add them in when cooking the onions. We like to add in chopped carrots, celery, spinach and/or mushrooms.
- Freeze half. This easy lasagna recipe makes a lot, so usually we make this when we’re having another family over for dinner or I will freeze half of it and make it in a 9×9″ pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Spread sauce on the bottom of the dish.
2. Place a row of noodles.
3. Spread another layer of sauce.
4. Place the ricotta over top.
5. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Repeat that layer.
7. Final layer would be noodles, sauce and shredded cheese.
This is a personal preference, but I prefer ricotta cheese. You could also do a mix of cottage cheese and ricotta.
In this recipe we are adding 3 layers of lasagna.
Make Ahead + Freezing Instructions
Make in Advance: Assemble this easy lasagna recipe according to directions, then cover with lid or wrap tightly with plastic wrap/foil and store in the fridge up to 24 hours before baking. The sauce can also be made up to 3 days in advance.
Freezer Instructions: This easy lasagna recipe makes a great freezer meal and will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply assemble according to directions in a freezer safe pan. Instead of baking, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Then cover with foil and label with date.
Before baking, place in fridge overnight to thaw. Remove plastic, but keep foil on. Bake as directed, however add an additional 20 minutes.
If you want to bake the frozen lasagna, place in oven at 350°F for 1 hour and 30 minutes with foil and then bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Looking for even more pasta inspiration? Try one pot chicken parmesan pasta, pasta e fagioli, or creamy chicken pasta.
More Easy Italian DishesBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Easy Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef , or ground turkey
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- ½ cup finely chopped onion , or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic , minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (32-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning , plus more to taste
- Salt , to taste
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups ricotta cheese , could use cottage cheese or half of each
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese , divided
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped basil , or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles , see notes
- 3-4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Optional: Fresh basil for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef, Italian sausage, and onions until the meat is cooked through. Drain grease. Add the garlic, salt and pepper. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until the onions are softened.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and Italian seasoning. Add 3/4 cup water. Let simmer 15 minutes. Add more Italian seasoning or fresh basil, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg. Add the ricotta, parmesan cheese and basil and whisk until combined.
Assemble + Bake
- In a 9×13-inch baking dish, spread about 3/4 cup sauce onto the bottom of the dish. Place 3-4 noodles onto the bottom of the dish. Spread about 1/3 of the remaining marinara sauce on top of the noodles, followed by 1/2 of the ricotta filling and then sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella over top.
- Repeat the next layer (noodles, sauce, using the remaining ricotta and mozzarella on top). For the top layer you'll place the noodles, spread the remaining marinara over top and then sprinkle the remaining cup of mozzarella on top.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Top with fresh basil, if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
The only lasagna recipe I use. It’s so easy to make and everyone loves it!
This is my 3rd time making this recipe and every time, we have’t had leftovers! So yummy, thanks for the recipe
This is one of the best & easiest lasagna recipes! We make it often. All my kids love it!
I love cooking easy recipes like your lasagna recipe formy family. Such a great recipe using ground beef and Italian Sausage. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe.
Love making lasagna on Christmas Eve; it’s always been a holiday tradition! This recipe is amazing!
What a great lasagna! The family loved it
So good! This lasagna is seriously making me hungry just looking at it!
I adore lasagna but it takes SO long to make. This recipe is so much easier than the one I make!