Filled with delicious layers of noodles, cheese and a flavorful beef tomato sauce. This easy lasagna recipe will become an instant hit with your family!
If there’s anything that screams comfort food to me, it’s lasagna. Whether it’s this homemade lasagna recipe, lasagna soup or even fun variations like Mexican lasagna, it makes the perfect meal that the whole family will love.
Lasagna is one my favorite comfort foods. I mean, is there anything better than multiple layers of noodles, sauce and cheese? I don’t think so!
Not only is this lasagna super flavorful and delicious, but it’s perfect for family get togethers, Sunday dinners and is a great dish to take to a friend. We love to serve it with a salad and garlic bread to make the ultimate meal.
This recipe is a family favorite and is especially loved by my kids. If you’re looking for a true authentic Italian lasagna, this probably isn’t it. With 4 little ones, I try to make things easy on myself and not make a recipe with 20+ ingredients. Maybe one day!
How to make lasagna
Follow these simple steps below to get started.
Step 1: Prepare the sauce and filling
In a pan over medium-heat, brown the hamburger and sausage with the onions. Drain and then add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup water (if desired). Let simmer for 15 minutes, then season to taste.
While the sauce simmers, whisk the egg in a medium bowl. Then add in ricotta and basil. Set aside.
Step 2: Assemble the lasagna
Spread about 1 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of the 9×13″ pan. Place 4 noodles on the bottom of the pan. Then spread about 2/3 cup of cheese filling on top. Top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan cheese over top. Repeat with 2 more layers.
Step 3: Bake in oven
Sprinkle remaining cup of mozzarella on top. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven at 375°F for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Use no boil noodles. I like to use no boil noodles to make this lasagna SUPER easy, however you can boil regular noodles as well, just make sure not to overcook them.
- Add extra veggies. You can absolutely sneak in extra vegetables. Just add them in when cooking the onions. We like to add in chopped carrots, celery, spinach and/or mushrooms.
- Freeze half. This lasagna recipe makes a lot, so usually we make this when we’re having another family over for dinner or I will freeze half of it and make it in a 9×9″ pan.
- Make in crockpot. Rather make this recipe in the slow cooker? Check out my easy crockpot lasagna instructions. It’s perfect for busy weeknights.
Make ahead + freezing instructions
To make in advance:
Assemble the lasagna according to directions, then cover with lid or wrap tightly with plastic wrap/foil and store in the fridge up to 24 hours before baking. The sauce can also be made up to 3 days in advance.
This dish makes a great freezer meal and will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply assemble according to directions in a freezer safe pan. Instead of baking, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Then cover with foil and label with date.
Before baking, place in fridge overnight to thaw. Remove plastic, but keep foil on. Bake as directed, however add an additional 20 minutes.
If you want to bake the frozen lasagna, place in oven at 350°F for 1 hour and 30 minutes with foil and then bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
More easy Italian dishes:
Easy Lasagna Recipe
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground beef , could also use ground turkey
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion , or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cloves crushed garlic , or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 32 ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning , more to taste
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- 1 large egg , whisked
- 2 cups ricotta cheese , could use cottage cheese or half
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped basil , or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 16 ounces deli sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Optional: Fresh basil for serving
Making the sauce and filling:
- Brown the hamburger and Italian sausage with the onions in a pan over medium-heat. Drain grease and then add the garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Cook until onions are soft. Then add in spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add up 1/2 cup water if desired. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more Italian seasoning or fresh basil if desired.
- While the sauce is simmering, whisk the egg in a medium-sized bowl. Then add in the ricotta cheese and basil. You could also do half ricotta and half cottage cheese. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread about a cup of the sauce onto the bottom of the 9x13" pan. Place 4 noodles (you may need to break some noodles to fit) on the bottom of the pan. Then spread about 2/3 cup of the cheese filling on top. Top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan cheese over top. Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of mozzarella cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Allow to set 5 minutes before serving. Top with fresh basil, if desired.