This easy spaghetti and meat sauce recipe is a family favorite! It adds a little flavor to the good ol’ classic and is always a hit with the kids!
This spaghetti and meat sauce is one of my tried and true easy dinner recipes. It’s simple, family-friendly and ready in just 30 minutes. Doesn’t get better than that!
While I love making homemade spaghetti sauce, it takes a little more effort to whip up. So when I’m craving pasta and need something a little easier, this recipe is my go-to.
- Onions and garlic: These aromatics add wonderful flavor! Sauté them in oil first before adding the meat.
- Meat: We typically use ground beef, but Italian sausage works too.
- Spices: Add in kosher or table salt, black pepper and oregano.
- Sauce: Use one jar of marinara or spaghetti sauce (I love Prego spaghetti sauce). You can make your own homemade marinara sauce too.
- Diced tomatoes: I always throw in a can of diced tomatoes, but this is totally optional!
- Pasta: We use 1 box of spaghetti noodles, but any type of pasta would work.
How to make spaghetti with ground beef
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Brown the ground beef. Add olive oil to frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Then add in garlic and cook 1 more minute. Next add in meat and seasonings and cook until beef has browned.
- Add spaghetti sauce and simmer. Add in pasta sauce and tomatoes and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Cook noodles. While sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti noodles according to package.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve meat sauce over cooked pasta and top with fresh basil and parmesan if desired.
Have leftovers? Try making:
- Spaghetti boats. My family absolutely LOVES spaghetti boats! Simply top sliced garlic bread with leftover spaghetti and mozzarella, then bake for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
- Leftover spaghetti casserole. Spaghetti casserole is such a fun and delicious way to use leftover spaghetti! It’s basically an easy combo of baked spaghetti and lasagna. Super family-friendly!
- Italian sloppy joes. This is such an easy and delicious dinner! Make sloppy joes by topping a hamburger bun or piece of Texas toast with the spaghetti meat sauce. Dig in and enjoy!
One of my favorite things about this spaghetti meat sauce recipe is that it makes a perfect freezer meal! Sometimes I’ll double the recipe and freeze half. It’s perfect for a busy weeknight and makes dinner a breeze!
To freeze: Let cool completely, then add sauce to a freezer bag. Label with the date, then store in freezer for up to 3 months.
To thaw: Let thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat on the stove until warm. Serve over spaghetti noodles and add cheese if desired!
More easy pasta dishes:
- Instant pot spaghetti
- Spaghetti bolognese
- Easy homemade alfredo
- Crockpot lasagna
- Spaghetti and meatballs
Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 pound ground beef , or Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1 jar marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes , drained (optional)
- 1 box spaghetti noodles
- Add olive oil to frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they become soft (about 3-5 min). Then add garlic and cook a minute longer. Next add in ground beef and seasonings. Cook meat until browned.
- Add in spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package while sauce is simmering.
- Serve sauce over noodles while hot and add fresh basil and parmesan if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!