Easy Basil Pesto
Easy Basil Pesto – Fresh, delicious and super simple! This basil pesto recipe is so versatile and can be added to so many dishes. You’ll absolutely love this homemade pesto!
We had an over abundance of basil in our garden last year, so we made lots of basil pesto last summer! It was so yummy. I meant to share this recipe last year, but the time got away from me. This pesto recipe is so easy to make and comes together in just a few minutes.
This basil pesto is so versatile and can be added to so many dishes! We love making our pesto chicken salad, chicken pesto lasagna and cheesy pesto bread with the leftovers. Basil pesto just makes everything taste so yummy!
What is pesto sauce made out of?
This basil pesto recipe is made with 5 simple ingredients. You can add salt and pepper to taste as well. So easy and yummy!
- Fresh basil, stems removed
- Pine nuts
- Minced garlic
- Frated parmesan cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to make pesto
- Combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan in a food processor or blender and pulse until chopped.
- Add the oil and puree until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add more olive oil, as needed.
Ways to modify this pesto recipe
- Instead of pine nuts, you could substitute cashews or walnuts instead.
- No oil on hand? Try adding in avocado instead (I would start with half and then add more as needed for desired texture).
- You could also use avocado oil instead of olive oil.
- Want an extra crunch? Try topping basil pesto with more pine nuts. You can even roast them if you’re feeling fancy. :)
- If you don’t think you’ll use the whole batch, you can easily freeze this pesto recipe. Add the pesto sauce to an ice cube tray, freeze, and then add pesto cubes to a ziploc baggie and store in freezer. I like to thaw by placing the baggie in a bowl of lukewarm water.
Love this basil pesto? Check out these other pesto recipes too:
- Pesto Spaghetti With Lemon Ricotta
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Orzo Pesto Soup
- Spinach pesto pizza with fresh mozzarella
Basil Pesto Recipe
Easy Basil Pesto - Fresh, delicious and super simple! This basil pesto recipe is so versatile and can be added to so many dishes. You'll absolutely love this homemade pesto!
- 2 cups fresh basil (stems removed)
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (more as needed)
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan in a food processor or blender and pulse until chopped. Add the oil and puree until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more olive oil, as needed.