Fresh and delicious basil pesto that’s super simple to make! This recipe is so versatile and can be added to so many dishes. You’ll absolutely love this homemade pesto sauce!
I used to buy pesto from the store, until I decided to make my own with fresh basil leaves from our garden. And I’m so glad I did! It couldn’t be easier to whip up and the flavor is amazing. It’s one of my favorite homemade condiments to make, along with ranch dressing, balsamic glaze and roasted garlic tomato sauce.
We had an over abundance of basil in our garden last year, so we made lots of basil pesto last summer! It was so yummy. I meant to share this recipe last year, but the time got away from me. It’s so easy to make and comes together in just a few minutes.
This basil pesto is so versatile and can be added to so many dishes! It tastes amazing on a pizza, sandwiches, cooked pasta, spaghetti squash, bread…pretty much anything. Pesto just makes everything taste so yummy!
5 simple ingredients
- Fresh basil
- Pine nuts
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
How to make basil pesto
- Add the basil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan in a food processor or blender and pulse until chopped.
- Pour in the oil and puree until the mixture is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more olive oil, as needed.
Storing + freezing
If you have leftovers, pour the pesto into an airtight container or jar and store in the fridge. It will keep in the fridge for about a week.
If you don’t think you’ll use the whole batch within a week, you can easily freeze it! Add the pesto sauce to an ice cube tray, freeze and then add pesto cubes to a ziploc baggie and store in freezer for up to 3 months. I like to thaw the pesto cubes by placing the baggie in a bowl of lukewarm water.
Use basil pesto to make:
- Grilled caprese sandwich
- Pesto chicken pasta salad
- White chicken lasagna with pesto
- Cheesy pesto pull-apart bread
- Spinach pesto pizza
Basil Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups fresh basil (stems removed)
- 3 Tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (more as needed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan in a food processor or blender and pulse until chopped. Add the oil and puree until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more olive oil, as needed.