Easy homemade alfredo sauce with cream cheese
My favorite easy homemade alfredo sauce – smooth, creamy and the perfect texture and flavor!
I don’t know about you, but alfredo is my weakness. Whenever we go out for Italian, it’s usually what I always end up ordering. Especially this pregnancy. Olive garden breadsticks with a big bowl of alfredo for dipping please. Bring on all the carbs! ;) Luckily I can make the sauce easily at home whenever the craving strikes.
This homemade alfredo sauce with cream cheese is such an easy recipe to make. It comes together very quickly and is always a hit with everyone who has tried it. The cream cheese just adds a smooth richness to the sauce… you can’t taste it, promise.
I found this homemade alfredo sauce cream cheese recipe in The Food Nanny cookbook and have been making it ever since. I have tweaked it a little over the years, but it’s always my go-to sauce. It is SO easy to make and so yummy!
This alfredo sauce uses the key basic ingredients such as butter, heavy cream, garlic and parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best). Plus a few seasonings to kick up the flavor. The key to making this sauce is to have patience when whisking, it will thicken and smooth out as it cooks. Also, make sure not to use too high of heat. I find that medium-low heat if perfect. You don’t want to burn or curdle the cream.
Easy homemade alfredo sauce
Easy homemade alfredo sauce – smooth, creamy and the perfect texture and flavor!
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups (1 pint) Heavy whipping cream (could use half and half)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound fettuccine
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Cut in the cream cheese. Next whisk in the cream and garlic powder. Season with Italian seasoning if desired. Increase the heat to medium low heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Stir in parmesan cheese and allow to melt. Taste and salt and pepper as needed. Toss with hot fettuccine and serve immediately.
Easy homemade alfredo variations
- Serve mixed with fettucine
- Serve mixed with penne or bowtie pasta, chicken and broccoli
- Serve in a bowl for dipping with bread
- Use in place of pizza sauce and top with mozzerella and chicken
- Mix with a marina and mostaccioli
- Make a skinny version using milk and light cream cheese. Add 1-2 teaspoons flour to thicken.
Looking for more pasta recipes? You’ll love these too: