EASY Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps – This delicious recipe tastes better than take out and is done in 20 minutes. A flavorful one pot dish that the whole family will love!
I love to make these cashew chicken lettuce wraps when I’m craving Chinese food. They are a healthier alternative to takeout and have such amazing flavor. Some of my other favorite takeout recreations are General Tso’s chicken, sweet and sour chicken, chicken and vegetable stir fry and veggie beef ramen.
This cashew chicken recipe is perfect for summer and one you need to put on your “must try” list. It’s a meal that my whole family loves and my husband and I always end up going back for seconds. The chicken is so tender and the sweet and tangy sauce on top is truly divine. We love to serve the cashew chicken in lettuce wraps, but you could also serve over a bed of rice.
The cashews hidden throughout this dish are definitely what take the chicken over the top! Cashews are one my favorite snacks, so any chance I can sneak them into dinner, it’s a win. They have so much flavor and are always satisfying. I love to use the salted roasted cashews for this cashew chicken recipe… it always adds the perfect flavor. I may have snuck a few cashews while making it too. ;)
How to make cashew chicken
The best thing about this cashew chicken recipe is that it’s made in one pan and done in 20 minutes. So quick and easy! Scroll down for the printable cashew chicken recipe and video tutorial.
- In large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-heat. Once butter melts, add single layer of chicken. Season with salt and pepper, then cook for 3 minutes. Once brown, flip and cook other side for additional 3 minutes. Turn heat to low and stir in garlic and cook.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together chicken stock, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar and corn starch in a small bowl. Stir into skillet and cook over low heat with chicken until it thickens. Then stir in cashews.
- Serve cashew chicken in lettuce cups or rice. Top with green onions if desired.
Ways to serve cashew chicken
Lettuce wraps: This is my favorite way to serve cashew chicken! It tastes light, fresh and is great for when you’re looking for a lower carb option.
Over rice: This cashew chicken tastes great served over white or brown rice. You could even use cauliflower rice or quinoa too. All taste amazing!
With noodles: You could easily mix this cashew chicken together with noodles. Rice noodles or spaghetti noodles would taste great.
Vegetable stir fry: If you want to make this dish into a cashew chicken stir fry, you could add all types of fresh veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, peas, zucchini, etc. Yum!
Quick tips about cashew chicken recipe
- I love to use salted roasted cashews, however you could use unsalted or raw cashews if you prefer.
- You can even use other types of nuts if desired, like slivered almonds.
- For a little heat, add a few dashes of sriracha or hot sauce to the cashew chicken sauce.
- Feel free to add in a few extra veggies, like mushrooms, peppers or broccoli.
More takeout inspired dishes:
- PF Chang’s lettuce wraps
- Baked teriyaki chicken bowls
- Instant pot orange chicken
- Easy fried rice
- Egg roll in a bowl
Cashew Chicken Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken breast , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews
- Lettuce cups or butter lettuce
- Green onions for serving, optional
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add in a single layer of chicken. Add a salt and pepper to chicken. Allow to cook for 3 minutes, or until brown and then flip onto the other side. Let cook an additional 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn the the heat to low and then stir in the garlic and cook.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the chicken stock, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, and corn starch in a small bowl. Stir into the skillet and cook with chicken over low heat, until the sauce has thickened. Stir in cashews.
- Serve in lettuce cups or over rice if preferred. Top with chopped green onions if desired.
Seriously, get in my belly! I can’t wait to make this chicken with cashew nuts again. I think it needs to happen this week.
Hope you enjoy this cashew chicken recipe! It’s one of our favorites :)