This cilantro lime rice is made in one pot in less than 30 minutes! Flavorful, fluffy and perfectly tender. Just like the cilantro rice from Chipotle or Cafe Rio!
I absolutely love the cilantro rice from Chipotle and Cafe Rio. We’ve been making this copycat recipe for years and I figured it was about time I shared it with you. If you haven’t made it, now is the time!
This is the perfect addition to any Mexican meal. We love serving it with pork tacos, burrito bowls and taco salad. It even makes a great addition to Asian meals like General Tso chicken or a stir fry.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s made in just one pot in less than 30 minutes. So simple and quick! Plus it has SO much flavor and tastes absolutely amazing. It’s one of my family’s favorites and is often requested. We love it!
- Butter: I used butter, but you can use olive oil if preferred.
- Garlic: You’ll need 2 cloves of garlic, which is about 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
- Rice: Long grain rice (or jasmine or basmati rice).
- Broth: Can use either chicken or vegetable broth. Both really enhance the flavor!
- Lime juice: It’s important to use freshly squeezed juice for flavor (instead of bottled).
- Lime zest: Including lime zest gives the rice a more fragrant lime flavor.
- Cilantro: You’ll need about 3 Tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro.
- Sugar: I add a couple teaspoons of sugar to give it a hint of sweetness. You can omit if preferred.
How to make cilantro lime rice
- Add ingredients to saucepan & bring to boil. In a large saucepan over medium-heat, melt butter. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Next stir in rice, chicken broth and lime zest and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook. Stir the rice once and then cover with lid and cook for 18-20 minutes. Remove lid and let water evaporate.
- Pour seasonings over rice & fluff. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, cilantro, sugar and S&P. Then pour over rice and fluff with a fork.
What to serve with it?
There are SO many ways to enjoy this cilantro rice! Below are a few yummy ideas:
- Serve as a side dish with beef tacos, enchiladas or taquitos
- Use as a topping for salads. My favorites are taco salad, Mexican salad or fajita salad
- Include in dishes like burrito bowls, Mexican chicken casserole, burritos or taco bowls
How long does it last?
It will keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container. You can also extend it’s shelf life by storing in the freezer. To freeze, simply add to a freezer bag (make sure it cools completely first) and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I like to reheat my cilantro rice on the stove top. Simply place in a saucepan and add a couple of tablespoons of chicken broth. This helps keep the rice moist and fluffy, so it doesn’t dry out. Then turn heat to low and cover saucepan with lid. Let steam for a few minutes until warm, stirring occasionally.
Alternately, you could microwave it as well. I’d still recommend adding in a few tablespoons of broth to keep it moist and fluffy. Make sure to cover the rice with a damp paper towel or small microwave-safe plate to allow it to steam.
Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter , or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic , 2 cloves
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 15 ounce can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lime zest , more if desired
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice , 1 lime
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar , optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken broth and lime zest. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Stir the rice once and then cover the pan with a lid and cook for 18-20 minutes. Remove lid and let water evaporate.
- Whisk together the lime juice, cilantro, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Then pour over rice and fluff with a fork.