Topped with a delicious teriyaki sauce and served with steamed vegetables, this baked teriyaki chicken bowl is a yummy dinner recipe that tastes better than the take-out!
I’m all about recreating our favorite take out dishes at home. It’s a lot easier than you think and is more healthy and cost effective. I’ve recreated a few of our other favorites too, like sweet and sour chicken, fried rice and instant pot orange chicken. Yum!
This baked teriyaki chicken bowl recipe is SO delicious and has become a staple in my house. I cook dinner most nights, but my favorite night of the week is Friday when we usually grab take-out. One of my kid’s favorite take-out dinners is teriyaki chicken. We love getting it at our favorite nearby restaurant, but honestly, it’s pretty expensive for what you get!
I decided to try making my own teriyaki chicken at home, and holy cow. It’s way better than the take-out version! You get much more bang for your buck and it tastes absolutely amazing! Plus it’s a lot healthier too…no deep frying or extra preservatives included. Sign me up!
- Light brown sugar
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Rice or apple cider vinegar
- Chicken breasts
Assembling your teriyaki chicken bowl
One of the best things about this teriyaki chicken bowl is that it’s super simple to make!
You just cook a quick teriyaki sauce with only a few ingredients and then pour the sauce over a couple of chicken breasts. Bake the chicken in the oven until it’s cooked through, let it rest for a few minutes and then slice it up.
Next comes the fun part: assembling your teriyaki bowl. Below is how I prefer to layer my bowls, but honestly, feel free to layer it however you’d like. You can’t mess it up!
- Rice: Add the cooked rice to the bottom of your bowl. You can use white or brown rice, or even quinoa works great.
- Veggies: Next add the steamed vegetables. I usually buy a bag of pre-cut stir fry veggies and steam them in the microwave. So easy!
- Chicken: Place the meat on top of the veggies. I like to cut my chicken into cubes before adding.
- Sauce: Top it off with more teriyaki sauce. Give it a quick drizzle, then sprinkle on some sesame seeds and green onions for the final touch.
Cooking tips + modifications
- For a low carb option, serve over cauliflower rice instead of regular rice.
- Not a fan of broccoli or carrots? Add in your other favorite veggies, such as zucchini or red bell pepper.
- Add a dash of Sriracha in the sauce if you love spicy foods.
- Want to make a crockpot version? Check out my slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe.
- This is a great recipe for meal prep. Evenly assemble the ingredients into meal prep containers and store in the fridge until enjoying.
The teriyaki chicken recipe tastes better than take-out and is also healthier, too! Such a quick and easy recipe that your whole family will love!
More takeout inspired dishes:
- Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry
- EASY Veggie Beef Ramen
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- General Tso’s Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces pre-cut fresh stir-fry vegetables, steamed (about 1 bag, frozen would work too)
Serve with: White or brown rice (or lettuce cups), sesame seeds, sliced green onions
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. In a small saucepan over low heat, mix the cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger. Let simmer for a few minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then place in the bottom of the pan. Pour teriyaki sauce over chicken and cover pan with foil.
- Baked covered for 25 minutes and then take the foil off and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside (165 degrees).
- Meanwhile, cook the rice and stir fry vegetables. Take chicken out and let cool while you prepare the teriyaki chicken bowl. Add rice to the bottom of the bowls, then a layer of vegetables. Slice up your chicken and layer on top. Drizzle with remaining teriyaki sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Enjoy!