These trail mix muddy buddies are the best sweet and salty snack that’s sure to become a family favorite. Enjoy during road trips, movie night or as an after school snack…they are perfect for any occasion!
Table of Contents
Muddy Buddy Trail Mix Recipe
One of my all-time favorite snacks is muddy buddies. The classic version is always a hit, but it’s so fun to make variations. We make them for road trips, movie nights or even a sweet after school snack.
Trail mix is one of my staple road trip snacks and one day I was running low, so I combined the two. Definitely a match made in heaven. I just love the sweet and salty combo! These Chex muddy buddies were a huge hit with my family and will definitely be high on my “go-to” snack list. So easy and absolutely delicious!
There are so many different ingredient options that can be thrown in this recipe! Below is my favorite combination, but feel free to add ingredients you have on hand, like pretzels or mini marshmallows.
- Chex cereal: My favorite type for muddies buddies is rice Chex cereal. The corn Chex would work as well.
- Chocolate chips: These are melted and then mixed with the peanut butter and butter to coat the cereal.
- Peanut butter: Make sure to use the creamy kind.
- Butter: This adds a little more richness to the chocolate coating.
- Powdered sugar: This compliments the cereal and chocolate coating so well. It adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Peanuts: Peanuts add a salty component and taste amazing with the sweet chocolate.
- Almonds: I loved adding almonds for the perfect crunch.
- Raisins: Their chewy and sweet flavor taste amazing with the other ingredients.
- Chocolate candies: We added in M&M’s, but you could add in Reese’s pieces too.
My kids love helping me make these trail mix muddy buddies. My 3 year old’s favorite job is to stir everything together. Sometimes it gets a little messy, but I just have to remind myself of the memories we’re creating. The messes really don’t take that long to clean up, but the memories will last forever.
With school in full swing, we like to have lots of easy and yummy snacks on hand. This muddy buddy recipe is a fun twist on the classic trail mix and is seriously so delicious. My kids love it!
Chocolate peanut butter mixture. Microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a bowl until melted, about 1 minute. Place the cereal in a bowl, then pour the chocolate mixture on top. Stir until well coated.
Powdered sugar. Pour the mixture into a zip top bag, then add in powdered sugar and shake until all of the cereal is well coated.
Trail mix ingredients. Add in the remaining ingredients: peanuts, almonds, raisins and chocolate candies and shake until coated. Then pour the mixture onto a piece of wax paper to cool.
Muddy buddies are best kept stored at room temperature in an airtight container or bag. They will stay fresh for up to a week.
Other Fun Variations
Trail Mix Muddy Buddy Recipe
- Place the Chex cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir until melted and microwave an additional 15 seconds if needed.
- Pour chocolate over Chex cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Place in a zip top bag. Add powdered sugar and shake. Then add the peanuts, almonds, raisins and chocolate candies until coated. Pour onto a piece of wax paper to cool.
- Store in air tight container.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!