Trail Mix Muddy Buddies Recipe – The best sweet and salty snack that’s sure to become a family favorite. Enjoy during road trips, movie night or as an after school snack…these Chex Muddy Buddies are perfect for any occasion!
With school in full swing, we like to have lots of easy and yummy snacks on hand. This Chex Muddy Buddies recipe is a fun after school snack option that my kids love. We have it stocked in the pantry along with our favorite granola bars and no bake energy balls.
Sponsored by Chex Cereal.
Chex Muddy Buddies
One of my all-time favorite snacks is Muddy Buddies. The classic version is always a hit, but it’s so fun to make variations. We make them for road trips, movie nights or even a sweet after school snack. We love to make all sorts of Muddy Buddies with Chex, like this Lemon Muddy Buddy recipe or Peanut Butter Cup Muddy Buddies. The options are endless! I love that Chex is so versatile and can be added to all types of recipes – sweet, savory, snacks…you name it!
Trail mix is one of my staple road trip snacks and one day I was running low, so I combined the two. Definitely a match made in heaven. I just love the sweet and salty combo! These Chex Muddy Buddies were a huge hit with my family and will definitely be high on my “go-to” snack list. So easy and absolutely delicious!
The Rice Chex cereal used in this recipe gives the Muddy Buddies the best crunch and pairs perfectly with the other trail mix ingredients. So yummy!
My kids love helping me make these trail mix Muddy Buddies. My 3 year old’s favorite job is to stir everything together. Sometimes it gets a little messy, but I just have to remind myself of the memories we’re creating. The messes really don’t take that long to clean up, but the memories will last forever.
Trail mix ingredients
There are so many different ingredient options that can be thrown in this Chex Muddy Buddies recipe! Below is my favorite combination, but feel free to add ingredients you have on hand, like pretzels or marshmallows.
- Rice Chex cereal
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate candies
How do you make Muddy Buddies?
What I love about this Muddy Buddies recipe is that it’s so simple! No baking required and takes just 10 minutes to throw together. Scroll down for the printable Chex Muddy Buddies recipe.
- Place Chex cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir until melted and microwave an additional 15 seconds if needed.
- Pour chocolate over Chex cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Place in zip top bag. Add powdered sugar and shake. Then add peanuts, almonds, raisins and chocolate candies until coated. Pour onto a piece of wax paper to cool.
- Store in airtight container.
Quick tips about this Muddy Buddies recipe
- Have a gluten sensitivity? Don’t worry, this Chex rice cereal is gluten free!
- For those with a peanut allergy, try making with almond or cashew butter instead.
- Make sure to store in an airtight container. The Chex Muddy Buddies will keep for about a week.
- Feel free to add any extra ingredients to muddy buddies recipe, like pretzels, marshmallows, cashews, etc.
Trail Mix Muddy Buddy Recipe
Trail Mix Muddy Buddies Recipe - The best sweet and salty snack that's sure to become a family favorite. Enjoy during road trips, movie night or as an after school snack...these Chex Muddy Buddies are perfect for any occasion!
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cups peanuts
- 3/4 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chocolate candies
Place the Chex cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir until melted and microwave an additional 15 seconds if needed.
Pour chocolate over Chex cereal. Stir until well coated.
Place in a zip top bag. Add powdered sugar and shake. Then add the peanuts, almonds, raisins and chocolate candies until coated. Pour onto a piece of wax paper to cool.
Store in air tight container.
This post was brought to you by Chex. To learn more about Chex products and find lots of delicious recipes, visit www.chex.com.