This kid’s trail mix recipe is super simple to make and perfect for on-the-go snacks! Ready in 5 minutes and easily customizable with all your favorite mix-in’s!
Homemade trail mix is one of the easiest recipes for kids to make. My kids have so much fun choosing their favorite ingredients and mixing them together. They also love to help make ants on a log and animal face toast. So fun and simple!
With back to school season just around the corner, I’ve been on the hunt for after school snacks and lunch ideas. I thoughts I’d share one of our favorite snacks with you today, so you can make it for your kids.
I love this trail mix recipe because it is so easy even the kids can make it. We made it for our last big road trip and plan to make more for after school snacks. It also makes a great snack for camping, movie night and everything in between! Kids and adults all love it.
The best thing about the recipe is how customizable it is! You can make it healthy, sweet and salty or even turn it into a dessert like my trail mix muddy buddies recipe. So many ways to make it your own!
Reasons to love it:
- Inexpensive. Makes a big batch with 14 servings! Way more cost effective than premade.
- Quick. Only 5 quick minutes to combine all of the ingredients together. SO easy.
- Perfect for kids. Such an easy recipe for kids to make with you. My kids LOVE trail mix!
- Customizable. Add your favorite mix-in’s and create your own personal recipe.
- On-the-go. The perfect grab and go snack for lunch boxes, after school, road trips and more.
I like to add something crunchy, sweet and salty to mine, but we usually just add whatever is in our cupboards. These are definitely our favorite ingredients to add though.
- nuts (cashews are my kid’s favorite)
- M&M’s or chocolate chips
Some other fun ingredients we’ve tried:
- gold fish or teddy grahams
- chex or golden grahams
- sunflower seeds
- dried fruit
- candied nuts or pecans
- chocolate or yogurt covered raisins
- apple chips
How to make trail mix for kids
Here’s the best part about this kids trail mix: you can make it as healthy as you want! Feel free to leave out the marshmallows and M&M’s. I usually don’t add the chocolate every time, but it’s fun to add it in on special occasions. When I do, my kids think I’m the best mom ever! You can also add more nuts if your kids will eat them.
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Toss until mixed together.
Snack bags for school
This trail mix recipe is PERFECT for making snack bags! Simply measure out 1/2 cup portions and place in snack size zip lock bags (photo above). It should make around 14 servings.
My kids loved packaging it up in snack bags and even made a little snack bag for their teacher (photo below). All we did was cut a lunch bag in half with some wavy scissors and then I drew a mini ruler on the side and wrote “Back to school snack mix!” on the front. Super easy and a fun way to say thank you!
More easy snacks for kids:
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
- Crockpot Applesauce
- Cereal Bars
- Frozen Berry Yogurt Bites
- No-Bake Breakfast Cookies
Kid's Trail Mix
- Measure out your ingredients and then place in a large bowl. Toss until mixed together. Place a 1/2 cup portion in snack bags for easy snacks on-the-go.