This trail mix recipe is super simple to make and perfect for on-the-go snacks! It’s ready in 5 minutes and easily customizable with all your favorite mix-in’s!
The Perfect Snack
Homemade trail mix is one of the easiest snack recipes for kids to make. My kids have so much fun choosing their favorite ingredients and mixing them together. They also love to help make ants on a log and animal face toast. So fun and simple!
I love this trail mix recipe because it is so easy even the kids can make it. We made it for our last big road trip and plan to make more for after school snacks. It also makes a great snack for camping, movie night and everything in between! Kids and adults all love it.
The best thing about the recipe is how customizable it is! You can make it healthy, sweet and salty or even turn it into a dessert like my trail mix muddy buddies recipe. So many ways to make it your own!
Reasons to love Trail Mix
- Inexpensive. Makes a big batch with 12 servings! Way more cost effective than pre-made.
- Quick. Only 5 quick minutes to combine all of the ingredients together. SO easy.
- Perfect for kids. Such an easy recipe for kids to make with you. My kids LOVE trail mix!
- Customizable. Add your favorite mix-in’s and create your own personal recipe.
- On-the-go. The perfect grab and go snack for lunch boxes, after school, road trips and more.
I like to add something crunchy, sweet and salty to mine, but we usually just add whatever is in our cupboards. These are definitely our favorite ingredients to add though.
- nuts (cashews are my kid’s favorite)
- M&M’s or chocolate chips
Some other fun ingredients we’ve tried:
- gold fish or teddy grahams
- chex or golden grahams
- sunflower seeds
- dried fruit
- candied nuts or pecans
- chocolate or yogurt covered raisins
- apple chips
How to Make Trail Mix for Kids
Here’s the best part about this kids trail mix: you can make it as healthy as you want! If my kids are helping make it, they love to add in pretzels, cheerios and mini marshmallows. I usually don’t add the chocolate every time, but it’s fun to add it in on special occasions. When I do, my kids think I’m the best mom ever!
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Toss until mixed together.
- Store in zip top bags for easy snacks. This trail mix recipe is PERFECT for making snack bags! Simply measure out 1/2 cup portions and place in snack size zip lock bags (photo above). It should make around 12-14 servings.
Storing Trail Mix
The best thing about this recipe, is that it stores for a long time. I like to store this trail mix is in a mason jar with a lid (like you see below). It will stay freshest the longest in a glass container. We also love storing it in snack bags for grab and go snacks.
Trail Mix stored properly will stay fresh 1-2 months. You can also place it in the fridge or freezer for up to 3-6 months.
More Easy Snacks Ideas:
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
- Cereal Bars
- Homemade Chex Mix
- No-Bake Breakfast Cookies
Trail Mix Recipe
- 1 cup cashew halves , or nut of choice
- 1 cup peanuts , or nut of choice
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup M&M's
- In a large bowl, combine the cashews, peanuts, almonds, raisins and M&M's. Stir until combined.
- Store trail mix in a mason jar or zip top bag.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!