Crunchy Chex cereal coated in peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar. These muddy buddies (aka puppy chow) are an easy no-bake treat made with 6 ingredients in just 15 minutes!
I’ve shared a few fun variations like my trail mix muddy buddies or lemon muddy buddies, but I realized I hadn’t posted the classic version yet. So today I’ll show you how to make puppy chow using the original recipe. It’s super easy and is seriously addicting. Just one bite and you’ll be hooked!
If you’re looking for an easy dessert to whip up in a pinch, these muddy buddies are perfect for you. There’s absolutely no baking required (you only need a microwave) and they’re ready in 15 minutes from start to finish. The end result is a sweet and crunchy snack full of peanut butter and chocolate flavor.
This recipe makes a smaller batch of muddy buddies. I find that it’s the perfect amount for my family, but it’s also super easy to double for a crowd! It’s one of my favorite desserts to make for family movie night. It’s also great for gifting to neighbors and friends during the holidays. Seriously so yummy and easy to make!
Puppy chow ingredients
- Chex cereal: I personally think Rice Chex cereal has the best flavor and texture. If you can’t find that type, then corn Chex will also work.
- Chocolate chips: Semi sweet chocolate chips are my favorite to use.
- Peanut butter: I like to use a little bit more peanut butter than the original recipe calls for. It adds the perfect flavor. Make sure to use the creamy kind (not drippy or oily). I prefer Jiff or Skippy.
- Butter: This mixes with the chocolate and peanut butter to add a layer of richness.
- Vanilla: Add a dash of pure vanilla extract for an extra boost of flavor.
- Powdered sugar: This coats the muddy buddies for the perfect hint of sweetness.
How to make muddy buddies
- Melt. Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a bowl in the microwave. Then stir the mixture until completely smooth. Once smooth, mix in the vanilla extract.
- Mix. Pour the cereal into a large bowl, then pour the melted chocolate on top. Gently stir until the cereal is fully coated.
- Coat. Transfer the mixture into a large zip top bag and pour in the powdered sugar. Close the bag and shake until all of the muddy buddies have a nice coating of sugar. Then pour onto a piece of wax paper to cool completely.
Although these taste delicious as-is, you can mix in a few extras for some added flavor, color and crunch. One of my favorites to add in is peanut butter M&M’s. Especially around Christmas using the holiday version.
- Peanut butter M&M’s
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Reese’s pieces
Store the muddy buddies in an airtight container or bag at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
More snack recipes to try:
- Pour the Chex cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir until melted. Microwave an additional 15 seconds if needed. Alternatively you could cook over a double broiler.
- Stir vanilla into the chocolate and then pour chocolate over Chex cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Place chex mix in a zip top bag. Add powdered sugar and shake. Add more powdered sugar if desired. Pour onto a piece of wax paper to cool.
- Store in air tight container for up to 5 days.