These 3 ingredient bacon wrapped smokies are the perfect easy appetizer for your next party. They’re wrapped in crispy bacon and a delicious caramelized brown sugar coating. Always a crowd pleaser!
Table of Contents
Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smokies
My family absolutely loves little smokies and pigs in a blanket. These bacon wrapped smokies are one of our new favorites though. Because anything with bacon is better, am I right? It’s a delicious variation and is sweet, savory and salty all at the same time.
These bacon wrapped smokies are so EASY and always a crowd pleaser. They make the perfect bite size finger food for any tailgating party, BBQ or family gathering. Everyone always eats them right up…they’ll be gone before you know it!
This appetizer only takes 3 ingredients to make: little smokies, bacon and brown sugar. That’s it! The layer of bacon adds the perfect amount of flavor and I love how the brown sugar caramelizes around it all. Seriously so simple and SO GOOD!
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
WRAP. Cut the thin sliced bacon into thirds. Then wrap each of the little smokies with bacon. Use a toothpick to secure the ends together.
ROLL. Pour the brown sugar in a small bowl. If you like heat, add a dash of cayenne and mix. Then roll the bacon wrapped smokie in the sugar. Once covered in sugar, place on a lined baking sheet.
BAKE. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip, then bake an additional 10-15 minutes until the bacon gets crispy. If there is any excess grease when you are flipping them, remove it with a paper towel. Then line a plate with paper towels and place the cooked smokies on top to absorb any extra grease.
- Use foil or parchment on the pan as the brown sugar tends to caramelize onto the pan. You could also use a disposable baking sheet for easy clean up.
- Soak the toothpicks in water before using them. This prevents them from burning in the oven.
- Use the center cut regular or thin sliced bacon. You don’t want to use too thick of bacon or it will be hard for it to crisp.
- When getting ready to flip half way, remove some of the excess grease with a paper towel.
- Bake a few minutes longer if you like your bacon crispy and a few minutes less if you like it less crispy.
- To keep warm until serving, place the little smokies in a slow cooker on the low setting.
Make Ahead Option
These can be prepped up to 24 hours ahead of time. Simply wrap the little smokies with bacon, coat in brown sugar and then secure with a toothpick. Place on the baking sheet, then cover with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Then bake as directed.
More Appetizers with Bacon
Little Smokies Wrapped in Bacon Recipe
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Toothpicks, soaked in water
- 12 ounces little smokies
- 1 pound bacon (thin cut) , cut in thirds
- ¼ cup light brown sugar , more if needed
Optional: cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Wrap each little smokie with a small piece bacon. Secure with a toothpick. Place brown sugar into a small bowl. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper if desired, Then roll smokie in the sugar. It's best to do this not on the pan so there isn't excess brown sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake another 10-15 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Remove some of the excess grease with a paper towel when you're flipping them if there is an excess.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra grease.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!