These Oven Baked Chicken Wings are SO easy to make and seriously addicting! They’re crispy, flavorful and the perfect party appetizer. Coat them in your favorite sauce and dig in!
You can’t have a game day celebration without chicken wings! It’s one of those classic party appetizers that everyone loves. We always make a plate of baked chicken wings, along with 7-layer dip, bbq meatballs or little smokies, jalapeno poppers and pigs in a blanket.
Crispy baked chicken wings
With the big game coming up, I wanted to share one of the most popular game day appetizers out there: chicken wings! There’s something about crispy chicken wings coated in a delicious and tangy sauce that just screams football (or any sport for that matter). They are so tender, flavorful and seriously addicting.
There are definitely LOTS of different ways to make chicken wings. Some of the most popular ways are to deep fry them, cook them in the crockpot or bake them. I love baking the chicken wings in oven because it is the EASIEST way to make them and you all know I love easy recipes. :)
Chicken wings in oven
Baked chicken wings are so simple and are definitely my favorite way to make them. Check out the simple steps below to get started. Scroll down for the printable baked chicken wings recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with foil. Place a wire rack on top of sheet and coat with non-stick spray.
- Pat chicken wings completely dry with paper towel.
- Add baking powder, salt and pepper to a zip top bag and shake until combined. Then place chicken wings in bag and shake until coated.
- Place wings on top of wire rack and bake for 30-40 minutes, until crispy. Make sure to flip halfway through.
- Let sit for a few minutes then brush on favorite wing sauce.
Chicken Wing Marinade
There are so many ways to season your chicken wings! Below are a few of my go-to recipes for chicken wing marinade. You can’t go wrong with any of these!
BBQ chicken wings
My favorite sauce for these chicken wings is BBQ sauce. You can buy your favorite BBQ sauce or make my homemade BBQ sauce. Once the chicken wings are done cooking, brush the sauce right on top.
Buffalo chicken wings
One of the most famous chicken wing sauces is buffalo sauce. It has a little bit of heat and adds great flavor. You can make your own buffalo sauce by whisking together 1/2 cup franks hot sauce with 1/4 cup melted butter. Or you can buy the franks version from the store.
Teriyaki chicken wings
For teriyaki chicken wings, I like to buy Yoshida’s teriyaki sauce. It has such great flavor. You could also make your own teriyaki sauce as well.
What do you serve with chicken wings?
I love serving my baked chicken wings with celery sticks, carrots and ranch or blue cheese dressing. If you’re making a big game day spread, you can also serve the chicken wings alongside some of my favorite appetizers including: ham and cheese sliders, buffalo chicken dip, crockpot meatballs & spinach and artichoke dip.
Chicken Wings Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings (about 20 fresh, not frozen)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For serving: Celery sticks and ranch or blue cheese dressing
Optional sauces: BBQ sauce, Buffalo wing sauce, Teriyaki sauce
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Place a wire rack on the pan if you'd like them less greasy.
- Make sure your wings tips are removed and separate into wings and drums if they are not already. Pat your wings dry with a paper towel. Make sure they are completely dry.
- Place the baking powder, salt and pepper in a zip top bag. Shake until combined. Then place the chicken wings in a ziptop bag and shake until coated. Place on top of the rack.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until nice and crispy, flipping halfway. Let sit a few minutes and then brush on desired sauce.