7 Layer Dip Recipe – Layers of salsa, guacamole, sour cream, beans, cheese, pico de gallo and olives. The perfect appetizer for game day or a friends get-together. People will gather around this layered taco dip until it’s gone!
This 7 layer dip recipe is the ultimate party appetizer. It’s one of our favorites to make and is so easy and delicious. We also love to make crockpot buffalo chicken dip, pigs in a blanket and my 4-ingredient cheese ball recipe.
Seven layer dip
This is a classic 7 layer dip recipe that I’m sure most of you are familiar with and love! It’s one that I often forget about (since it’s way too big for my little family), but it’s perfect for family gatherings. What’s not to love? Plus it is so easy to put together!
There’s also fun ways to add variations to this layered taco dip. You can make your own guacamole and salsa. You could even make your beans from scratch and add all kinds of seasonings. I like to generally keep things simple though!
Ingredients for 7 layer dip
The ingredients for this 7 layer dip recipe are so easy to throw together. I like to make a pico de gallo too. All you need to do is mix together the tomatoes, cilantro and onions and squeeze a little lime juice and salt on top. Adds a little punch!
- Refried beans
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Taco seasoning
- Optional: Green onions & lime
How to make 7 layer dip
This 7 layer dip is SO easy to make and comes together super quickly. Scroll down for the printable 7 layer dip recipe and video tutorial.
- Layer the beans on the bottom.
- Next layer the sour cream and guacamole.
- Pour the salsa on top.
- Add some cheese.
- Then add your favorite toppings such as tomatoes, green onions, olives, jalepenos, cilantro.
Decorating tip: One way to dress up this 7 layer dip recipe is by putting it in a trifle bowl. You can even put it in the mini trifle bowls OR plastic cups for individual servings. I also added a fun chalkboard label to the front of the dish. We also love to make this Mexican layer dip in a 9×13″ dish as well so it gets more spread out. You get more of the toppings in every bite!
7 Layer Dip
- 31 ounces refried beans
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened, optional)
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning (1 packet)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups guacamole
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chunky medium salsa or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 roma tomatoes (diced and drained of juices)
- 4 ounces sliced olives or jalepenos (1 can, drained)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 bunch green onions (sliced thin, optional)
- 1/2 lime (optional)
- s&p to taste
For serving: Tortilla chips or Fritos
- In a small bowl, stir together beans, cream cheese (if desired) and taco seasoning. I like to microwave the cream cheese for about 20 seconds beforehand, to make sure it’s smooth and creamy.
- Then spread the beans onto the bottom of your dish. You can use a 9×13 pan, trifle dish or serve in individual cups.
- Next spread on the sour cream and guacamole.
- Then pour the salsa through a mesh strainer. The will remove the liquid and prevent your dip from becoming runny. Alternatively you can skip the salsa and add extra tomatoes. Add on top of guacamole.
- Next add the tomatoes, olives, onions and cilantro. Squeeze a little lime juice over the top if desired. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The 7 layer dip is best to eat the day that it is made. Serve with fresh tortilla chips or Fritos. Enjoy!
- Alternatively you can mix the cream cheese and taco seasoning in with the sour cream.
- You could also add in a Tablespoon of ranch seasoning mix to the sour cream if you prefer.
- Do not use a thin salsa, it will make the whole dip runny.
- If you are wanting to make ahead of time, I would do the bean and sour cream layer and refrigerate. Then add the guacamole, salsa and toppings right before the event, so it stays fresh.
Yum! I could eat this 7 layer dip for dinner! :)
I hope you enjoy this 7 layer Mexican dip as much as we did! :)