Creamy pretzel cheese dip that’s made with just 5 simple ingredients in less than 10 minutes. Once you try it, you’ll make this homemade version over store bought every time!
One of my absolute favorite snacks are homemade pretzels with cheese sauce. And instead of buying premade sauce from the store, I recently tried making my own. And boy am I glad I did! It was so easy to whip up and tastes incredible. Creamy, cheesy and smooth!
This cheese dip is so easy and simple to make. It only takes 5 ingredients and comes together in less than 10 minutes! The sauce is so creamy and cheesy. It isn’t too clumpy and has the perfect smooth consistency. It’s also really easy to save and reheat for later.
It tastes so much better than the canned stuff and is better for you, too. There are so many yummy ways to use this delicious dip. Serve it with pretzel bites or bread, on top of a baked potato or even over vegetables. It tastes great on pretty much anything!
5 simple ingredients
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk
- Cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce
How to make cheese sauce for pretzels
MELT. Add butter to skillet and melt over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour on top of the butter and cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring. It should form a thick paste. Then whisk in the milk until slightly thickened.
STIR. Remove from heat and slowly begin to mix in the shredded cheese until smooth. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste. If you need to thicken it down a bit, add a few Tablespoons of warm milk.
STORE. Pour into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Spicy nacho cheese: Add an extra Tablespoon of hot sauce and dash of cayenne pepper. You can add jalapeno as well.
- Mustard cheese dip: Add a Tablespoon or two of mustard.
Make ahead + keep warm
Make ahead: Prepare as directed, then store in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to enjoy, simply heat back up on the stove or in the microwave.
Keep warm: This cheese sauce is great served right from the stove, but if it’s going to be more than 10 minutes before I serve it, I like to transfer to a mini crockpot to keep warm.
What else to serve with this cheddar cheese sauce?
We love to use this cheese sauce for pretty much anything. It makes a great cheese fondue as well.
- Pretzel bites
- French bread
- Baked potatoes
- Potato wedges
- Steamed broccoli
- Tortilla chips
- Raw vegetables
Pretzel Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk , more as needed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese , only use freshly grated
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce (I prefer Frank's) , more to taste
- S&P , to taste
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the butter, stirring constantly and cook for 1 minute (it should be a thick paste). Next whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Remove from the pan from heat and slowly stir in the cheese until. Stir until smooth. Add 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If it's too thick add a Tablespoon or two more of warm milk.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. Reheat on the stove top or microwave.