This make-ahead sausage and egg breakfast casserole is one of my go-to easy breakfast recipes! The perfect dish to make for holidays or Sunday brunch.
If you’re looking for an easy breakfast recipe that’s great for serving a crowd, this breakfast casserole is perfect for you! It can be made the day before and is full of flavor. You’ll also love my overnight french toast, ham and cheese quiche and cheesy ham and broccoli frittata.
I absolutely adore this breakfast casserole! It’s such a versatile dish that can be adapted to fit your needs. You can substitute baked ham or bacon for the sausage or can swap in different veggies depending on what you have on hand. So easy and customizable!
I also love it because you can prepare the easy breakfast casserole the day before, refrigerate it overnight and then pop it in the oven on a holiday morning. We love to serve it for Easter and Christmas brunch. So yummy and very filling!
It has tons of flavor…especially from the breakfast sausage and green chiles. They really help to take the taste up a notch. Some of the other breakfast casserole recipes that I’ve tried before are kind of bland, but this dish is anything but that!
How to make a breakfast casserole
- SAUTE. Brown the meat in a frying pan and add to a bowl once finished. Then add butter to the same pan and mix in onions, cooking for 2 mins. Add bell peppers and cook additional 2 minutes. Next, mix in potatoes and cook for about 3 minutes, until heated through. Stir in sausage and green chiles, then pour into a buttered 9×9″ baking dish. Then place the pan in the fridge to chill the mixture slightly.
- POUR. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture in baking dish. Next, sprinkle spinach over the top. Then add cheese.
- BAKE. Cover with foil and bake at 325°F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 10-15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Before serving, let stand for a few minutes to set completely.
How do you know when the breakfast casserole is done? It will be done when the outside edges are slightly golden and the egg mixture stays firm when you gently rock the pan from left to right. You want to make sure the egg mixture has cooked all the way through and isn’t still liquefied in the center. To double check, stick a knife in the middle of the casserole. The knife should come out clean if cooked completely.
Storing + reheating
STORING: It will keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days. Make sure to cover your pan with a lid or wrap tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
REHEATING: You can either warm for a few minutes in the microwave or the oven. If using the oven, I would recommend covering with foil so the top doesn’t brown too much.
Favorite sides for serving
If you’re hosting a big brunch for a crowd and are looking for sides to serve alongside this breakfast casserole, below are a few ideas!
- berry fruit salad
- hash browns
- rainbow fruit kabobs
- homemade biscuits
- breakfast potatoes
- bacon or sausage
More breakfast recipes to try:
- Cheesy bacon and egg breakfast skillet
- Easy breakfast burritos
- Breakfast pie
- Sheet pan pancakes
- Crustless quiche
Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage (or turkey or Italian sausage; could sub with diced ham or bacon too)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups frozen potatoes (cubed or shredded, thawed)
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach (optional; add more if desired)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter a 9×9" (or 8×10") baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the meat in fry pan over medium heat. Once cooked through, remove to a bowl. Add butter to the pan with the onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Then add the bell peppers and cook an additional 2 minutes. Next mix in the potatoes and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sausage and green chiles and then pour into the baking dish. Place in the refrigerator to cool slightly, before adding the eggs.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in bowl. Then pour over the sausage mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle chopped spinach over the top. Next add the cheese. Cover with foil and then bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Let stand a few minutes before serving.