Make-Ahead Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole – One of my go-to easy breakfast recipes! This sausage breakfast casserole is one of my family’s favorites to make for Sunday brunch and holidays.
If you’re looking for an easy breakfast recipe that’s perfect for serving a crowd, this breakfast casserole is perfect for you! It can be made the day before and is full of flavor. You’ll also love overnight french toast, ham & cheese quiche and cheesy ham and broccoli frittata.
Sausage breakfast casserole
I absolutely adore this breakfast casserole! It’s such a versatile dish that can be adapted to fit your needs. You can substitute ham or bacon for the sausage or can swap in different veggies depending on what you have on hand. So easy and customizable!
I also love it because you can prepare the easy breakfast casserole the day before, refrigerate it overnight and then pop it in the oven on a holiday morning. We love to serve it for Easter and Christmas brunch. So yummy and very filling!
This breakfast casserole recipe has tons of flavor…especially from the breakfast sausage and green chiles. They really help to take the taste up a notch. Some of the breakfast casserole recipes that I’ve tried before are kind of bland, but this sausage breakfast casserole is anything but that!
Ingredients for breakfast casserole
Below are the ingredients I used for this breakfast casserole recipe. Feel free to make swaps based on preference or what’s in your fridge and pantry!
- Breakfast sausage (could sub with different type of sausage, ham or bacon)
- Bell peppers
- Green chiles
- Cheddar cheese
How to make a breakfast casserole
Scroll down for the printable breakfast casserole recipe and video tutorial.
- Butter a baking dish and set aside.
- Cook meat over medium heat in fry pan, then add to a bowl once finished.
- Then add butter to the same pan and mix in onions, cooking for 2 mins. Add bell peppers and cook additional 2 mins. Next, mix in potatoes and cook for about 3 mins, until heated through. Stir in sausage and green chiles, then pour into your baking dish. Before adding eggs, place in fridge to slightly chill.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture in baking dish. Next, sprinkle spinach over the top. Then add cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 10-15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Before serving, let stand for a few minutes.
Frequently asked questions for breakfast casserole
Do you cover breakfast casserole when baking? Yes, I cover with aluminum foil for the first 45 minutes of baking, then remove the foil and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes without it.
How do you know when breakfast casserole is done? Your breakfast casserole is done when the outside edges are slightly golden and the egg mixture stays firm when you gently rock the pan from left to right. You want to make sure the egg mixture has cooked all the way through and isn’t still liquefied in the center. To double check, stick a knife in the middle of the casserole. The knife should come out clean if cooked completely.
How long does breakfast casserole last in fridge? This breakfast casserole will keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days. Make sure to cover your pan with a lid or wrap tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Can you reheat a breakfast casserole? Yes. To reheat, you can either warm for a few minutes in the microwave or the oven. If using the oven, I would recommend covering with foil.
Favorite sides to serve with breakfast casserole
If you’re hosting a big brunch for a crowd and are looking for recipes to serve alongside this breakfast casserole, below are a few ideas!
- Fresh fruit
- Homemade biscuits
- Breakfast potatoes or hashbrowns
- Bacon, sausage or ham
- French Toast
Make-Ahead Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage (or turkey or Italian sausage; could sub with diced ham or bacon too)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups frozen potatoes (cubed or shredded, thawed)
- 4.5 ounces chopped green chiles (1 small can)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach (optional; add more if desired)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter a 9×9 (or 8×10) baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the meat in fry pan over medium heat. Once cooked through, remove to a bowl. Add butter to the pan with the onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Then add the bell peppers and cook an additional 2 minutes. Next mix in the potatoes and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sausage and green chiles and then pour into the baking dish. Place in the refrigerator to cool slightly, before adding the eggs.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in bowl. Then pour over the sausage mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle chopped spinach over the top. Next add the cheese. Cover with foil and then bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Let stand a few minutes before serving.