This one-pot cheeseburger soup is the perfect weeknight meal that’s ready in just 30 minutes! It’s hearty, creamy and super filling. Your family will love it!
Craving a burger but don’t want to fire up the grill this winter? Try this cheeseburger soup recipe! It’s a fun take on the classic burger and fries and is the perfect comfort dish for colder weather.
I had a big bag of potatoes to use up last month and was trying to get creative with them, so I decided to make this cheeseburger soup. This recipe is a fun twist on the traditional potato soup and has so many delicious flavors. I even snuck in extra veggies and my kids gobbled it right up. That’s a win in my book!
I should say this definitely isn’t the prettiest soup, but it is the perfect comfort food on a cold winter day. It’s hearty, creamy and very filling. We love to serve it with fresh dinner rolls or french bread. So delicious!
Reasons to love it
- 30-minutes. Only 30 minutes from start to finish! Now that’s a meal I can get behind.
- Made in one pot. Hardly any clean up required. Everything is cooked in just one pot!
- Sneak in extra veggies. Perfect for using up those extra veggies sitting in the fridge.
- Family-friendly. My husband and all of my kids loved this recipe (even the picky eaters!).
- Comfort dish. This is the ultimate comfort food to enjoy during winter. It’s perfectly creamy and hearty!
How to make cheeseburger soup
Cook hamburger. Brown the beef over medium heat in a large skillet. Drain the grease, then set meat in a bowl.
Add in veggies. Add butter, onions, carrots and celery to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Then add garlic and sprinkle flour on top. Cook for 1 more minute.
Let simmer. Add the broth, diced potatoes and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes (until potatoes are tender).
Serve and enjoy! Stir in the cooked hamburger and cheese until melted. Then add in sour cream if preferred and S&P to taste. Ladle into bowls and add your favorite toppings!
- Buy pre-chopped veggies from the produce section for an even quicker soup!
- For a fun addition, you could cut up some hamburger buns and toast the cubes to add to the top of the soup.
- You could also add sliced pickles and crisp bacon to really up the soup. We like to keep it simple around here though. :)
- To make it creamier, add in 1/4 – 1/2 cup sour cream or heavy cream before serving.
- Garnish with more cheese and sliced green onions to add extra flavor!
More hearty soup recipes:
- Easy Taco Soup
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- One Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Ham and Potato Soup
Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground hamburger
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper , more to taste
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 russet or yukon potatoes , peeled and cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream , optional
Optional: crisp bacon crumbles, sliced green onions or scallions, for garnish
- Cook the hamburger in large skillet over medium heat. Once browned, drain grease and set meat in a bowl. I like to line the bowl with a paper towel to absorb any extra grease.
- Add the butter, onions, carrots and celery to the pan. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sprinkle the flour over top. Cook an additional minute.
- Add in the chicken broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Next add back in the meat and cheese. Stir and allow to melt. Add in the sour cream if you'd like it a littler creamier. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and add extra cheese and green onions for garnish.