One-Pot Hearty Vegetable Soup – Easy to make, healthy and completely delicious! This vegetable beef soup is packed full of veggies and is Whole30 approved, gluten-free and paleo.
This is one my favorite hearty soup recipes! It’s made in one-pot, packed with veggies and is so comforting. Some of my other favorite hearty soups are sausage tortellini soup, taco soup, ham and potato soup and lasagna soup. Yum!
Vegetable beef soup
One of my all-time favorite things to make during the winter is vegetable soup with homemade rolls. Perfect on a cold snowy day. I shared this vegetable soup recipe a few years ago, but thought I would re-share it, since it is one of my favorites to make this time of year!
This ground beef vegetable soup is filled with tons of veggies and my kids even love it. The best part is that the leftovers freeze beautifully. Just place in a zip top bag and then when you’re ready to eat, thaw and reheat. It does have a little bit of a kick to it, so feel free to adjust the spices how you like it.
Another great thing about this vegetable beef soup is that it’s also Whole30 approved. It’s a recipe that I made often when I was doing the Whole30. We usually have it in our monthly rotation too, because it is just that good!
Favorite veggies for vegetable beef soup
The best thing about this vegetable beef soup is that you can add in any veggies that you have on hand! My go-to veggies to add are carrots, celery, potatoes, onion and tomatoes, however feel free to add any others that you prefer. You could also make this vegetarian by omitting the ground beef and adding in 1 extra cup of vegetables.
- Green beans
How to make vegetable soup
Scroll down for the printable vegetable soup recipe and video tutorial.
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Then stir in ground beef and cook until browned. Drain remaining fat.
- Add in potatoes, celery, carrots, rotel, tomato sauce and water and bring to a simmer. Then add balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt and pepper and stir.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, until root veggies are fork tender. Stir occasionally.
- Top vegetable soup with fresh basil and sliced avocado if desired.
TIP: Add vegetable broth to make this soup stretch even further. You can also make it a vegetarian recipe by omitting the ground beef and adding in more veggies.
Vegetable soup variations
- If you’d like to make this a true vegetable soup, feel free to omit the hamburger. However, I like to add it in to make it a little more filling.
- Try mixing in other vegetables such as cauliflower, zucchini or squash.
- Use sweet potatoes instead of red potatoes.
- Use lean turkey or hamburger for less fat.
- Top with fresh herbs for more flavor. My favorite is basil, but oregano and parsley work great too.
Can vegetable beef soup be frozen?
Yes, this vegetable beef soup freezes beautifully! Simply place in a zip top bag and store in freezer. Then when you’re ready to eat, just thaw and reheat.
What goes well with homemade vegetable soup?
We love to top this hearty vegetable soup with fresh herbs like basil or parsley. Fresh avocado slices taste great on top as well. We also always serve some type of homemade bread with the soup. Some of our favorites are french bread, garlic bread or rolls. You could even serve the vegetable soup with a baked potato as well.
Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 2-3 small potatoes or sweet potatoes , peeled and diced (can also substitute with cauliflower)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 14.5 ounces rotel , or diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder , more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt , more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper , more to taste
Optional: Fresh basil and sliced avocado for topping
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Next stir in the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain any remaining fat.
- Stir in potatoes, celery and carrots, rotel, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a light simmer and then stir in the balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 30-45 minutes (or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender), stirring occasionally.
- Top with fresh basil and sliced avocado if desired.