The BEST hamburger recipe that’s super simple and tastes absolutely delicious! Perfect for Summer BBQ’s or get-togethers. Makes the most juicy hamburger that’s filled with tons of flavor.
You can’t beat a good hamburger in the summer. It’s always the first thing my family requests when we fire up the grill. Sometimes we keep it healthy and make turkey burgers, but a big, juicy beef hamburger definitely has my heart.
Grilling is one of my favorite things to do in the summer. There’s nothing better than getting together with friends and family for a big ol’ BBQ. After you make this hamburger recipe, you’ll never go back to frozen patties again. They are SO good! The hamburgers are so juicy and have the perfect amount of flavor. Melt some cheese on top and add lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles (or desired toppings) and you’ll have yourself a delicious burger that can’t be beat. Or skip the bun and make a low carb lettuce wrap burger or burger in a bowl. Your choice!
The secret to moist hamburgers
Two words: BBQ sauce! Not only does it help bind the patties together, but it keeps them super juicy and moist. Plus it adds amazing flavor. I never make homemade hamburgers without it. You don’t need to add much…only about 2 Tablespoons per every 1.5 pounds of beef. You can even use steak sauce or ketchup instead, but I just love the flavor that BBQ sauce adds.
Tips for forming hamburger patties
- Make sure to use 80/20 ground beef. The fat helps bind the meat together.
- Some people will use 1 egg with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs to help bind their patties, but I like to use BBQ sauce. If I’m feeling fancy sometimes I’ll use teriyaki sauce. You could even use ketchup. The sauce really adds an extra boost of flavor, while helping bind the meat together so the patties don’t fall apart while cooking.
- For even more flavor, mix some hamburger seasoning in with the meat before forming into patties.
- Use a large spatula when flipping, and don’t flip until the patties have cooked 4-5 minutes.
How to make hamburgers on the grill
- MIX & FORM. Combine beef, BBQ sauce, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a medium bowl. Mix just until combined with your hands and shape into 4 patties about 3/4-inch thick. Make a well in your patties with your thumb to prevent from bulging.
- GRILL. Place burgers on the grill and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and then cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- SERVE. Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.
Favorite burger toppings
- Onion slices
- Pickled onions
- Caramelized onions
- Burger sauce
- Garlic aioli
Sides for serving
Don’t forget the sides! This hamburger patty recipe pairs perfectly with:
- Homemade french fries
- Grilled vegetables
- Sweet potato fries
- Baked parmesan potato wedges
- Corn on the cob
- Baked potato
- Broccoli salad
- Pasta salad
- Grilled sweet potatoes
- Vegetable skewers
More grilling recipes you’ll love:
- Greek chicken burger
- Easy steak marinade
- Grilled BBQ chicken foil dinner
- Steak kabobs
- Italian burgers
Best Hamburger Recipe
Optional toppings: ketchup, mayo, mustard, thousand island, cheeese, bacon, lettuce leaves, tomato slices, sliced onion, pickles
- Preheat the grill to medium high.
- Combine the ground beef, BBQ sauce, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Mix just until combined with your hands and shape into 4 patties about 3/4-inch thick. Make a well in your patties with your thumb to prevent from bulging.
- Place burgers on the grill and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and then cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or until juices run clear. Top with cheese slices, if desired. Grill until cheese has melted and turn off the heat.
- Serve hamburgers on buns with your favorite toppings.
These hamburgers really are so juicy and flavorful. Can’t beat homemade!