The world’s best taco soup recipe that’s fast and easy to make in one pot with staple ingredients! This taco soup is by far the most requested meal at my house.
This recipe has all of my favorite flavors combined into one bowl! It’s hearty, comforting and has a yummy Mexican taste. For more dishes with similar flavors, check out my one pot burrito bowls, slow cooker taco lasagna, taco casserole and Najavo tacos.
My husband LOVES this easy taco soup and could probably eat it everyday. It’s one of my favorite meals too. The kids even love it…and they are PICKY! It’s definitely one of our all time favorite and EASY soup recipes to make. We usually have all the ingredients on hand and it’s something that I usually make without a recipe. Just dump and taste!
Everyone I’ve made this taco soup for always asks for the recipe. I first got this recipe from my husband’s grandma. All the family had gotten together for an event and this soup was served with chips and all the toppings. I was pregnant with my first son and it was the one thing that had tasted good in a long time. After that, I made this recipe at least once a month and couldn’t wait to eat the leftovers. It reheats really well. I promise it’s super easy to make. If my husband can make this…you can too! ;)
- Meat: Ground hamburger or turkey will both work
- Veggies: Chopped onions, bell peppers and corn
- Beans: Black beans, kidney beans and pinto or white beans
- Tomatoes: Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Rotel and salsa
- Spices: Taco seasoning – more or less to taste
- Optional toppings: Cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips or tortilla strips, sliced avocado, cornbread croutons
How to make taco soup
Scroll down for the printable recipe and step-by-step video tutorial.
- Brown the meat. Brown hamburger in a large pan over medium-heat. Add in the onions, bell peppers and saute for a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer. Stir in all other ingredients until combined. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy! Top with sour cream and cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
How to freeze taco soup
This taco soup makes a GREAT freezer meal. It holds up really well and reheats perfectly. Check out my easy freezing tips below.
- Allow the soup to cool down.
- Place into a zip top bag or freezer container (leaving room for it to expand) and add a freezer label.
- Place in the freezer. It will stay good for up to six months in the freezer.
- When ready to reheat, place in the refrigerator or microwave to thaw. Then simmer in a pot over low heat.
- If I want to make it go further, sometimes I’ll add in an extra can of beans and tomatoes with a little more taco seasoning.
This recipe can easily be made in the crockpot! Simply brown the hamburger, onions and bell peppers in a skillet first. Then add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. So easy!
What readers are saying about this recipe
“Absolutely love this quick and easy soup. Made it for my husband and it’s now one of his favorite dinners!” – Bee
“Loved this Taco soup! The easiest, yet best I’ve made. Thanks so much for sharing.” – Carol
“This was amazing and easy! It is so customizable–turn the “heat” up or down. It was great with sliced avocado and sour cream, and others loved it with chips and cheese! It’s on my board of “keepers”!” – Liisa
“This is my favorite chili hands down. It is delicious!” – DH
More easy and delicious soups:
Best Taco Soup
- 1 pound hamburger meat or ground turkey
- 1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning , more or less to taste
- 1 medium sweet onion , chopped finely
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can kindey beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto or white beans , drained and rinsed (optional)
- 15 ounce can corn
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 10 ounce can Rotel
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup salsa , fresh is best
- Brown hamburger in a large pan over medium-heat. Add in the onions, bell peppers and saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add a little water if it starts getting too thick. If you have more time, let it simmer longer.
- Top with sour cream and cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a great day!