The ultimate comfort food in a bowl! This simple potato soup takes just 5 minutes of prep and turns out absolutely amazing. Just throw it all in the crockpot and forget it!
During the colder months, I crave all types of creamy and comforting soup recipes. This is often a go-to of mine, as well as broccoli cheddar soup, ham and potato soup, corn chowder and chicken pot pie soup.
Crockpot potato soup…YUM, that’s all I have to say! A few weeks ago, I was in charge of making soup for a church event and I asked my friends what to make. One of my friends recommended this easy potato soup and it did not disappoint. It was so good, so I decided to share it with you guys too!
I adapted a few things, but overall this recipe is SO simple to make and super yummy. Just throw it all in a crockpot and you’re done. Seriously! You can even serve in a bread bowl for pure comfort food.
I still love my creamy potato and ham soup, but this version is so easy and is perfect for those lazy days. Mmm… so good. Great to make on a cold, winter day!
The ingredients are so simple and easy to find!
- Frozen hash browns
- Green onion
- Chicken broth
- Cream of celery
- Half and half
- Cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Optional toppings: Bacon, green onion and shredded cheese
How to make potato soup in the crockpot
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Add ingredients to crockpot. Place hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half and butter in bottom of crockpot and stir.
- Cook on low. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir. Then cook for 30 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Add toppings and serve. Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
The key to cheesy potato soup
One of my favorite tricks for making a creamy and cheesy potato soup is to grate my own cheddar cheese. It seriously makes a huge difference, and is so easy!
Freshly grated cheese makes for a thicker soup, and the consistency turns out perfect. I always grate lots of extra cheese for topping, too. It gets nice and melted on top, and helps to make it taste extra delicious. YUM!
Toppings to add
Below are my favorite toppings to add. They make it taste just like a loaded baked potato. Yum!
- Shredded cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Green onion
- Sour cream
More delicious soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Crockpot Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Crockpot Potato Soup
- 30 ounce bag frozen hash browns (cubed or shredded for a creamier soup)
- 1/2 cup green onion (optional; thinly sliced)
- 32 ounces chicken broth (or 2 cans)
- 10.5 ounce can cream of celery (or cream of chicken)
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
S&P, to taste
For serving: shredded cheese, bacon cooked & crumbled, sliced green onions
- Place the hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half and butter into the slow cooker. Stir until combined.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.
- You can also use 3-6 small potatoes, diced and chopped.
- Add an extra can of chicken broth if you'd like a thinner soup.
- You can also add a can of corn, and/or cubed ham if desired.