The ultimate comfort food in a bowl! This simple crockpot potato soup takes just 5 minutes of prep and turns out absolutely amazing. Just throw it all in the slow cooker and forget it!
Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Soup
Crockpot potato soup…YUM, that’s all I have to say! A few weeks ago, I was in charge of making soup for a church event and I asked my friends what to make. One of my friends recommended this easy slow cooker potato soup and it did not disappoint. It was so good, so I decided to share it with you guys too!
I adapted a few things, but overall this recipe is SO simple to make and is super yummy. Just throw it all in a crockpot and you’re done. Seriously! You can even serve in a bread bowl for pure comfort food.
I still love my creamy potato and ham soup, but this version is so easy and is perfect for those lazy days. Mmm… so good. Great to make on a cold, winter day!
The ingredients for this crockpot potato soup recipe are so simple and easy to find! Scroll down for the specific amounts needed.
- Frozen hash browns: These are what makes this soup SO easy. No need to peel, dice or mash the russet potatoes or yukon golds. Just use a bag of frozen hash browns!
- Green onion: These are optional but I love adding them for extra flavor.
- Broth: Chicken broth gives it a richer taste, however vegetable broth works just fine too.
- Cream of celery: This adds both creaminess and flavor. You can also use cream of chicken if you prefer that over the celery.
- Half and half: This helps thicken the texture, as well as adds a rich flavor.
- Butter: Adding in a few spoonful’s of butter gives the soup a more robust taste.
- Cheddar cheese: Freshly grated is best. Mild or sharp cheddar cheese both taste delicious.
- Cream cheese: This helps makes the soup creamy, cheesy and silky smooth. Full fat cream cheese will give you the best result.
How to Make Potato Soup in the Crockpot
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Combine in crockpot. Place hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half and butter in bottom of crockpot and stir.
- Cook on low. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in cheese. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir. Then cook for 30 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Add toppings and serve. Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
The Key to Cheesy Potato Soup
One of my favorite tricks for making a creamy and cheesy potato soup is to grate my own cheddar cheese. It seriously makes a huge difference, and is so easy!
Freshly grated cheese makes for a thicker soup, and the consistency turns out perfect. I always grate lots of extra cheese for topping, too. It gets nice and melted on top, and helps to make it taste extra delicious. YUM!
Toppings to Add
Below are my favorite toppings to add. They make it taste just like a loaded baked potato. Yum!
- Shredded cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Green onion
- Sour cream
5 star review
“I made this soup for dinner last night and it was incredible! I can’t wait to make it all fall long!“– Jessica
Ways to Modify
- Instead of frozen hash browns, you can use 3-4 small potatoes and dice them into cubes. Russets or yukon gold potatoes both work great.
- You can use heavy cream instead of half and half with the same measurements, however only add 1/2 cup of cream of celery.
- Feel free to add in a can of corn and/or mix in some cubed baked ham to make it heartier.
- For a thinner consistency, add in an extra can of broth.
More Delicious Soup Recipes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Chicken and Corn Chowder
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Crockpot Potato Soup
- 30 ounce bag frozen hash browns , cubed or shredded for a creamier soup
- 1/2 cup green onion , thinly sliced (optional)
- 32 ounces chicken broth , or vegetable broth (2 cans)
- 10.5 ounce can cream of celery , or cream of chicken
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , grated
- 8 ounces cream cheese
S&P, to taste
For serving: shredded cheese, bacon cooked & crumbled, sliced green onions
- Place the hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half and butter into the slow cooker. Stir until combined.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.
- You can also use 3-6 small potatoes, diced and chopped.
- Add an extra can of chicken broth if you’d like a thinner soup.
- You can also add a can of corn, and/or cubed ham if desired.