Crockpot Potato Soup – The ultimate comfort food in a bowl! This simple potato soup takes just 5 minutes of prep and turns out absolutely amazing. Just throw it all in the crockpot and forget it!
During the colder months, I crave all types of creamy and comforting soup recipes. Slow cooker potato soup is often a go-to of mine, as well as broccoli cheddar soup, crockpot white chicken chili, ham and potato soup and chicken pot pie soup.
Easy potato soup
Crockpot potato soup…YUM, that’s all I have to say! A few weeks ago, I was in charge of making soup for a church event and I asked my friends what to make. One of my friends recommended this easy potato soup and it did not disappoint. It was so good, so I decided to share it with you guys too!
I adapted a few things, but overall this crockpot potato soup recipe is SO simple to make and super yummy. Just throw it all in a crockpot and you’re done. Seriously! You can even serve in a bread bowl for pure comfort food.
I still love my creamy potato and ham soup, but this crockpot potato soup is so easy and is perfect for those lazy days. Mmm… so good. Great to make on a cold, winter day!
What are the ingredients for potato soup?
I love that there aren’t a ton of ingredients in this slow cooker potato soup. They are so simple and easy to find!
- Frozen hash browns
- Green onion
- Chicken broth
- Cream of celery
- Half and half
- Cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Optional toppings: Bacon, green onion and shredded cheese
How to make potato soup
Scroll down for the printable crockpot potato soup recipe.
- Place hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half and butter in bottom of crockpot and stir.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir. Then cook for 30 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Cheesy potato soup
One of my favorite tricks for making a creamy and cheesy potato soup is to grate my own cheddar cheese. It seriously makes a huge difference, and is so easy! Freshly grated cheese makes for a thicker soup, and the consistency turns out perfect. I always grate lots of extra cheese for topping, too. It gets nice and melted on top, and helps to make the easy crockpot potato soup taste extra delicious. YUM!
Toppings for slow cooker potato soup
Below are my favorite toppings to add to crockpot potato soup!
- Shredded cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Green onion
- Sour cream
Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
- 30 ounce bag frozen hash browns (cubed or shredded for a creamier soup)
- 1/2 cup green onion (optional; thinly sliced)
- 32 ounces chicken broth (or 2 cans)
- 10.5 ounce can cream of celery (or cream of chicken)
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
S&P, to taste
For serving: shredded cheese, bacon cooked & crumbled, sliced green onions
- Place the hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half and butter into the slow cooker. Stir until combined.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.
- You can also use 3-6 small potatoes, diced and chopped.
- Add an extra can of chicken broth if you'd like a thinner soup.
- You can also add a can of corn, and/or cubed ham if desired.