The ultimate comfort food in a bowl! This simple crockpot potato soup takes just 5 minutes of prep and turns out absolutely amazing. Just throw it all in the slow cooker and forget it!
Table of Contents
Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Soup
Crockpot potato soup…YUM, that’s all I have to say! A few weeks ago, I was in charge of making soup for a church event and I asked my friends what to make. One of my friends recommended this easy slow cooker potato soup and it did not disappoint. It was so good, so I decided to share it with you guys too!
Just throw it all in a crockpot and you’re done. Seriously, this soup and slow-cooker seafood stew are dinnertime wins on busy nights! Serve in a bread bowl with all the toppings like my loaded baked potato soup for pure comfort food.
I still love my creamy potato and ham soup but this potato soup version is hands off and perfect for lazy days. If you love potatoes you must give this and crockpot mashed potatoes recipe a try! Mmm… so good. Great to make on a cold, winter day!
The ingredients for this crockpot potato soup recipe are so simple and easy to find! They are easy to keep on hand and simple to mix together. Crockpot potato soup is simple to make and kids to adults love it. Let the slow cooker do all the work!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Frozen hash browns: These are what makes this soup SO easy. No need to peel, dice, or mash the russet potatoes or Yukon golds. Just use a bag of frozen hash browns!
- Green onion: These are optional but I love adding them for extra flavor.
- Broth: Chicken broth gives it a richer taste, however, vegetable broth works just fine too. For a lighter broth use low sodium chicken broth.
- Cream of celery: This adds both creaminess and flavor. You can also use cream of chicken soup if you prefer that over the celery.
- Half and half: This helps thicken the texture, as well as adds a rich flavor.
- Butter: Adding in a few spoonfuls of butter gives the soup a more robust taste.
- Cheddar cheese: Freshly grated is best. Mild or sharp cheddar cheese both taste delicious.
- Cream cheese: This helps make the soup creamy, cheesy, and silky smooth. Full-fat cream cheese will give you the best result.
How to Make Potato Soup in the Crockpot
Get ready for a warm and comforting crock pot dinner! It is filled with a thick and creamy soup. This is the best potato soup! Use this as a main dish or a side dish with a salad and some garlic bread. It is the perfect combination!
- Combine in crockpot. Place hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half, and butter in the bottom of the crockpot and stir.
- Cook on low. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Stir in cheese. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir. Then cook for 30 more minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Add toppings and serve. Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
The Key to Cheesy Potato Soup
One of my favorite tricks for making a creamy and cheesy potato soup is to grate my own cheddar cheese. It seriously makes a huge difference, and is so easy!
Freshly grated cheese makes for a thicker soup, and the consistency turns out perfect. I always grate lots of extra cheese for topping, too. It gets nice and melted on top, and helps to make it taste extra delicious. YUM!
Toppings to Add
Below are my favorite toppings to add. They make it taste just like a loaded baked potato. Yum!
- Shredded cheese: Freshly shredded cheese slowly melts on the top of the loaded baked potato soup.
- Crumbled bacon: Cook the bacon ahead of time and chop it into small pieces. Sprinkle the bacon over top for a soft and crunchy texture.
- Chives: Slice fresh chives and add them on top for color and a zing of spice.
- Sour cream: Gives a creamy texture with a sweet and sour taste.
- Salt and pepper: Just enough to taste and alter the flavor!
Ways to Modify
Make it your way with your favorite ingredients! Adapt a few things if needed. Overall this recipe is SO simple to make and is super yummy!
- Fresh potatoes. Instead of frozen hash browns, you can use 3 to 4 small potatoes and dice them into cubes. Russets or Yukon gold potatoes both work great.
- Heavy cream. You can use heavy cream instead of half and half with the same measurements, however, only add 1/2 cup of cream of celery.
- Add-in. Feel free to add in a can of corn and/or mix in some cubed baked ham to make it heartier.
- Thin consistency. For a thinner consistency, add in an extra can of broth.
5 star review
“I made this soup for dinner last night and it was incredible! I can’t wait to make it all fall long!“– Jessica
Storing and Reheating
Place in an airtight container in the fridge for three to four days. When ready to reheat place in the microwave or stovetop until warmed through. Enjoy leftovers the next day or later in the week.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Crockpot Potato Soup
- 30 ounce bag frozen hash browns , cubed or shredded for a creamier soup
- ½ cup green onion , thinly sliced (optional)
- 32 ounces chicken broth , or vegetable broth (2 cans)
- 10.5 ounce can cream of celery , or cream of chicken
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , grated
- 8 ounces cream cheese
S&P, to taste
For serving: shredded cheese, bacon cooked & crumbled, sliced green onions
- Place the hash browns, green onion, chicken broth, cream of celery, half and half and butter into the slow cooker. Stir until combined.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.
- You can also use 3-6 small potatoes, diced and chopped.
- Add an extra can of chicken broth if you’d like a thinner soup.
- You can also add a can of corn, and/or cubed ham if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!