A fudgy chocolate cookie filled with fresh peppermint flavor. These chocolate peppermint cookies are the perfect holiday treat to add to your baking list this season!
Chocolate + Candy canes
This delicious cookie recipe is sure to satisfy your chocolate peppermint cravings. They are soft and chewy with the perfect amount of peppermint flavor. Definitely a crowd-pleaser for kids and adults!
They also make an amazing addition to any Christmas dessert board or cookie exchange. I love the festive flare they add with the crushed peppermint and white chocolate coating. Great for celebrating the season!
How to make chocolate peppermint cookies
Mix together wet ingredients
Cream together the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Then mix in eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract until smooth.
Mix dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and refrigerate the dough for 15 to 20 minutes.
Bake in oven
Remove dough from fridge and scoop onto the baking sheet using a large cookie scoop. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly crisp, yet soft in the middle. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for a couple of minutes, then move to cooling rack.
Decorate the cookies
Once the cookies have cooled completely, begin to decorate if desired. Dip the cookies halfway into the melted white chocolate and place on wax paper to dry. Then immediately sprinkle crushed peppermint on top of white chocolate.
- Refrigerate the dough. This helps the cookies stay thick and chewy. Aim for at least 15 minutes, but 20 to 30 minutes is ideal.
- Make them evenly sized. These are big cookies! To measure correctly, use a large cookie scoop or 2 Tablespoons.
- Don’t over bake. The centers should still look soft when you take the cookies out of the oven. They’ll set as they cool and will be perfectly fudgy and delicious.
- Decorate your cookies! Although this step is optional, I definitely recommend it. The white chocolate coating adds the perfect hint of sweetness, while the crushed peppermint adds extra flavor and texture.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) , at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I like to sub 1/4 cup special dark powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips , or milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Optional: White chocolate melting wafers (for dipping), crushed peppermint
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix just until combined. Add the chocolate chips and then refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes.
- Scoop the dough onto the pan using a large cookie scoop (or about 2 Tablespoons). Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly crisp, yet soft in the middle. Let cookies cool on pan for a few minutes, then move to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dip cookies halfway in melted white chocolate and place on wax paper or parchment paper if desired. Then immediately sprinkle crushed peppermint on top of white chocolate.