Easy chocolate truffles made with only 3 simple ingredients! They are smooth, creamy, rich, and seriously divine. The perfect festive and decadent treat to make for your Valentine!
Table of Contents
Easy Truffles for Valentine’s Day
Truffles may seem intimidating to make, but trust me once you get going, you’ll be a pro in no time. They’re an easy, no-bake dessert that looks like they came from a local bakery. And they taste rich and have the best chocolate flavor. YUM!
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy Valentine’s Day dessert, these chocolate truffles are perfect for you! They require only 3 simple ingredients and are smooth, creamy, and bursting with chocolate flavor. They basically taste like little balls of chocolate ganache. So yummy!
Plus they are so fun to decorate and look so pretty and festive. You can roll them in your favorite toppings like nuts or sprinkles, or dip them in white chocolate for an even more rich flavor. They’re easy to whip up and make the perfect treat for special occasions!
3 Simple Ingredients
This chocolate truffle recipe is one of the best and so simple to make! They are amazingly delicious and filled with so much flavor. With only three pantry staples you will be able to make these chocolates when you are craving one or ten!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chocolate: It’s important to use high-quality chocolate (I like to use Ghirardelli). It truly makes all the difference when it comes to flavor and texture. I like to use half semi-sweet and half bittersweet to give the truffles the perfect balance of flavor.
- Heavy cream: The sweet flavor and thick consistency help make the truffles extra creamy inside.
- Butter: You don’t need a lot, just enough to add a hint of richness.
How to Make Chocolate Truffles
Take your time making these decadent chocolate truffles. You will love how easy they are to make but also the extra care in making them perfect! When made perfectly they should melt in your mouth.
- Melt. Chop the chocolate and add to a heat-safe bowl. Pour the heavy cream into a separate bowl and then microwave for a little over a minute. Once the cream is hot, pour it over the chocolate (mix in butter and flavoring if desired) and let sit for about 5 minutes. The hot cream will melt the chopped pieces. Then you’ll give it a stir to smooth out the texture. Check out more tips on how to melt chocolate.
- Chill. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge to chill for at least 1 to 2 hours. If you’d like to speed up this process, stick the bowl in the freezer in order for the mixture to firm faster.
- Scoop. Once the mixture is firm, use a small cookie scoop to scoop chocolate out of the bowl and onto a lined baking sheet. Then place in the freezer for about 10 minutes after all of the truffles are scooped.
- Top. Roll the truffles into any desired toppings (ideas below) or dip them into melted chocolate. Store in the fridge until serving.
You can keep the truffles as-is, or decorate them with any of the below toppings. I like to do a mix of different decorations for more variety!
- Chopped nuts
- Shredded coconut
- Cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
- Mini chocolate chips
- Melted chocolate for dipping
- Sea salt
Tips for Success
Make the best chocolate truffles using these helpful tips and modifications. These are helpful and will create perfect truffles every time!
- Flavoring. For an extra boost of flavor, you can add vanilla, mint, or almond extract. Start with 1/2 teaspoon, then taste and adjust as needed. Add it in at the same time as the heavy cream.
- Adding toppings. Make sure to freeze the truffles for about 10 minutes prior to adding the toppings. If they aren’t cold, they’ll be too sticky and difficult to work with. If they soften up and get a bit sticky while you’re adding the toppings, place them back in the freezer for a few minutes to harden. Then try again.
- Dipping in chocolate. If you’re planning on dipping your truffles in a chocolate coating, I’d recommend using either a high-quality chocolate bar or melting wafers. Both work very well and make a great coating for the truffles. Simply place the truffle on a fork, then pour the chocolate over with a spoon and tap the fork on the edge of the bowl. Then place the truffle on the paper and draw a circle around the base with a toothpick. You don’t want to dip them all the way in the chocolate, as it will melt the truffle.
- Holiday decorations. This is the perfect treat to jazz up for different holidays throughout the year (Valentine’s Day, Easter, Christmas, etc.). Just add different colored holiday sprinkles or melting wafers.
5 star review
“These are sooooooo dangerous. Not only because they’re super rich and chocolaty, but they are SO EASY to make!”– Justine
The name truffle comes from the resemblance to a mushroom. It is considered a delicacy. The main ingredient is chocolate and usually is melted with heavy cream. Truffles are made out of fine chocolate and cream with a ganache filling.
Homemade chocolate truffles are specialty chocolate and are usually made for holidays or special occasions. They take extra time to make and extra heating instructions to shape and form them perfectly. These truffles don’t last as long compared to other chocolate candy recipes.
Usually, it is a chocolate ganache inside with a tempered chocolate coating. Specialty chocolate stores use other flavorings or fillings inside the chocolate truffles. The inside can be dark chocolate, a liqueur, peppermint extract, or mint.
Yes! Truffles are safe for those that are celiac or other gluten-related intolerances.
If you are enjoying a well-made truffle, it will melt in your mouth as you eat it unless it comes out of the fridge. Let them sit until they are at room temperature if they are coming out of the fridge. This usually takes about an hour. Any longer, they will melt or soften.
How to Store Chocolate Truffles
Storing chocolate truffles is a MUST! These are great to make ahead of time, store in the refrigerator, or freeze. Learn how to properly store your decadent chocolate in the best way!
- To store: It’s important to store the chocolate truffles in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This helps them keep their shape and maintain a thick and creamy texture. Just keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- To freeze: These taste great when they are frozen too. I actually love the harder texture and keep a few in the freezer for a quick and easy sweet treat. If you’d prefer them on the softer side, let them thaw at room temperature for a few minutes prior to eating. They will keep for a couple of months if stored in an airtight container in the freezer.
Other Types of Truffles
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 16 ounces high quality chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter
Optional Flavorings: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, almond extract, mint extract, etc.
Optional Toppings: Sprinkles, chopped nuts, coconut, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, melted chocolate for dipping
- Chop chocolate finely and place in a heat safe bowl. Add heavy cream to separate bowl and microwave cream for 1 minute and 15 seconds, or until hot. Then pour hot cream over chocolate.
- If desired, add butter and vanilla in bowl. Cover bowl with saran wrap and then let sit for 5 minutes (the hot cream will melt the other ingredients).
- Stir mixture until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours. You can place in the freezer to make firm faster.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside. Once firm, use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the chocolate. Place on the pan. Then place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Place the toppings in small bowls. Then take the pan out of the freezer and roll the truffle scoops into balls. Then roll the balls into the toppings. If they get too sticky, place back in the freezer.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
These chocolate truffles were so easy to make since they just had 3 ingredients and still tasted amazing.
These couldn’t possibly be any easier! I am making more today!
So glad you enjoyed the chocolate truffles!
These were so easy to make and turned out like absolute heaven. Will be making these every Valentine’s Day from now on!
If desired, add butter and vanilla in bowl.
Vanilla isn’t listed in the ingredients. How much?
The vanilla is optional. I use 1/2 tsp.
The kids and I had so much fun making and eating these! A great family activity that tastes great too.
I’m so glad to hear! :)
These are sooooooo dangerous. Not only because they’re super rich and chocolaty, but they are SO EASY to make!