These OREO balls are made with just 3 simple ingredients and are such an easy dessert recipe! They are fun, festive and great to make for entertaining. Drizzle with chocolate or top with your favorite colored sprinkles for the perfect decorative treat!
I love to make all types of truffle recipes. They are so easy, decorative and are perfect for any occasion. These OREO truffle balls are a family favorite, as well as sugar cookie truffles, chocolate chip cookie dough truffles and brownie truffles.
OREO cookie balls
These OREO cookie balls have been around for years and are such an easy dessert to make around the holidays. You may also hear them called OREO truffles, which makes them sound a little fancier. My kids LOVE these OREO cake balls and ask me to make them ever year for Christmas dessert plates. They are so easy and delicious!
I love that this OREO balls recipe is so simple to make, yet they look fancy as if you got them from a local bakery! I’ll typically drizzle the OREO balls with chocolate and top some of them with cookie crumbles. I sometimes even add colored sprinkles too! They are perfect for any holiday and are so fun to decorate!
How to make OREO balls
These oreo cream cheese balls are so easy to make and all you need is 3 simple ingredients: oreos, cream cheese and chocolate. Just follow the tips below.
- Crush the oreos. The best way to crush oreos is to place them in a blender or food processor. You can also place them in a zip top bag and smash with a rolling pin.
- Mix together the oreo crumbs and cream cheese with a hand mixer. If it isn’t coming together, get your hands in there and mix it up.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Then roll into a ball and place on the pan.
- Freeze for 10-15 minutes or until slightly firm. You don’t want them too cold.
- Dip in the melted chocolate.
What is the best chocolate for dipping?
It’s important to make sure you are starting with the right chocolate if you want a smooth finish on your OREO balls.
- Ghiradelli melting wafers – These are my personal favorite…you can melt them in a microwave safe bowl and they always have a smooth finish. They also taste delicious!
- Wilton candy melts – I love using these if I’m looking to use a certain color. The red is perfect for the holidays.
- Almond bark – This is another great option.
- Couverture chocolate – Chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa butter.
- Chocolate chips – If you’re desperate, you can use chocolate chips, but you wont get the smooth finish, especially with white chocolate. But you could always add crushed nuts or crushed oreos to the top so that it’s not as noticeable.
How to get a smooth finish
Here are my tips for getting a smooth finish on your OREO cream cheese balls:
- Have all your dipping supplies set out so that when you’re chocolate is melted, you are ready to go. The key is to move quickly!
- Make sure that your chocolate is melted and stirred until smooth. Click here for more tips and tricks for melting chocolate.
- Place your OREO cookie ball on a fork. Then dip into the chocolate or use a spoon to coat the ball.
- Gently tap the fork on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate and create the smooth finish.
- Use a toothpick to help push the ball onto the parchment paper. Draw a line around the base of the ball with the toothpick if there is extra chocolate. The chocolate will break off easier once hardened.
More treats you’ll love:
OREO Balls Recipe
- 36 OREO cookies (1 package)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces baking chocolate (I prefer melting wafers)
Optional toppings: OREO crumbs, nuts, sprinkles, drizzled melted chocolate
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then crush the oreos (with filling) in a blender or food processor.
- Mix together the oreo crumbs and cream cheese with a hand mixer. If it isn't coming together, get your hands in there and mix it up.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Then roll into a ball with your hands and place onto the pan.
- Freeze for 10-15 minutes or until slightly firm. You don't want them too cold.
- Melt the chocolate and stir until smooth. Then use a fork to dip the oreo balls into the chocolate. Tap on the edge of the bowl to get the smooth finish. Use a toothpick to help slide the ball onto the pan. Allow to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Chritmas oreo balls
These oreo balls can easily be decorated for any holiday! You can use different colored melting wafers or use a white chocolate base with sprinkles on top. Just make sure to add the sprinkles right after dipping or else they won’t stick. To make these Christmas oreo balls I used white chocolate to dip and added red and green sprinkles with some holly berries. So fun and festive!