It doesn’t get any easier than this delicious 2-ingredient ganache recipe. You’ll have a smooth and creamy chocolate ganache in less than 10 minutes!
Table of Contents
Perfect Every Time!
I’m a chocolate girl through and through. It’s always my first pick when it comes to dessert…I just can’t get enough! Seriously, give me a big bowl of chocolate ganache and all my dreams would come true.
The beauty of making ganache is that it’s super easy to whip up. It’s made with just 2 ingredients and is ready in less than 10 minutes. Now that’s a dessert that I can get behind. Whether you use it this flourless chocolate cake, brownies, candy, or eat by the spoonful, you will love this delicious treat!
Ganache vs. Frosting
Ganache is a glaze made with 2 simple ingredients: chopped chocolate and heavy cream. It’s thicker and more rich than regular melted chocolate and is often used as a filling or topping in many dessert recipes. Its consistency is smooth and spreads easily.
The frosting is typically made with cocoa powder, butter, powdered sugar, and cream. Its texture is fluffy and smooth, making it great for decorating cakes and cupcakes. It’s thicker than a ganache and can typically hold a point.
Best Chocolate for Ganache
The type you use for this recipe will really determine the flavor and consistency. These are a few of my favorite brands. I prefer to use chopped chocolate, but if using chips then I’ll use Ghirardelli or Guittard.
- Ghirardelli chocolate
- Baker’s bar
- Guittard chocolate (best chocolate chips)
- Trader Joe’s pound bar
How to Make Chocolate Ganache
This is a simple homemade chocolate ganache recipe that is equal parts chocolate to heavy cream. The ratio of chocolate part cream is the best way to make this ganache. It is an easy method to make a delicious dessert!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chop chocolate. Take your chocolate bars and chop them up into smaller pieces using a sharp or serrated knife.
- Combine the Ingredients. Place the cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until simmering, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chopped chocolate and let sit for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook both on a double broiler over the stove if preferred.
- Stir Until Smooth. After 5 minutes have passed, whisk the mixture until smooth. If it’s too thick, add 1 more Tablespoon of warm cream to thin it out. This is also when you would pour vanilla extract if you prefer more flavor.
- Top your Dessert. Slowly spoon the ganache over your dessert using the rubber spatula. If adding other toppings, add them immediately.
5 star review
“Simple and decadent! Super easy to heat cream in microwave then add chocolate and stir approx. 5 minutes. Delish!”-Laura
What Desserts to Top With
This ganache recipe is so versatile and tastes delicious on almost anything, but here are my favorite desserts to drizzle over the top:
- Chocolate bundt cake: The moist cake topped with the rich ganache is a match made in heaven!
- Peanut butter cheesecake: As if this dessert could get any better, it’s then topped off with a luscious ganache that drips over the edges.
- Banana split: A family-friendly ice cream dessert option that’s super easy. Is it even a banana split without a generous ganache drizzle?
- Mini cheesecakes: Top your cheesecakes with ganache and a fresh strawberry for the ultimate bite-sized treat!
- Peanut butter brownies: These brownies are layered with all of the goods! A brownie layer, a peanut butter layer, and a ganache layer. The best ever!
Ganache is a melted mixture of chocolate and heavy cream. Melt together to make the glaze, fill in a cake, make a frosting, or fill truffles.
Chocolate frosting is made with butter, cocoa powder, and sugar whereas chocolate ganache is made with a mix of chocolate, and heavy cream, and can add in gelatin.
After chocolate ganache cools it will naturally harden and becomes thicker. You do not want to mix or stir the ganache as it cools because it will become lumpy.
There are three types of ganaches, white chocolate ganache, milk chocolate ganache, bittersweet chocolate, and dark chocolate ganache. These types of chocolate-based ganache are immense flavors of chocolate.
Yes! You can reheat chocolate ganache once it has cooled to room temperature and hardened. Warm it up in a heat-proof bowl placed over a pan of simmering water or use a double-broiler.
Have Leftover Ganache? Try This:
More Delicious Desserts
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces good semi-sweet chocolate , chopped
- Place the heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1-2 minutes, or until simmering.
- Add the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Alternatively you can cook the cream and chocolate on a double broiler. Whisk until smooth. Add a Tablespoon more of warm cream if needed to thin out.
- Slowly spoon the ganache over your cake or dessert. Add optional toppings if desired immediately.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!