EASY homemade popsicles made with just 3 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of prep. The creamy layers of fresh fruit and yogurt make this frozen dessert the perfect healthy and refreshing treat to cool off with this summer.
Table of Contents
Healthy Summer Treat
I don’t know about your kids, but my kids eat popsicles like they are going out of style! And after taking one look at the ingredients in the store-bought varieties, I realized they were pure sugar. That’s when I decided we would start making our own homemade popsicles. My kids have loved making them and they are SO much healthier.
Basically all you need is fresh fruit, yogurt and a little bit of honey. I love using fresh mixed berries (give me ALL the summer berry recipes), but feel free to use other types like peaches, mangoes or cherries. Then all you do is purée the fruit, mix together the honey and yogurt and then layer them into the popsicle mold and freeze. Easy peasy!
These are the perfect treat or healthy snack for your little ones to enjoy all summer long. There’s just something about fruit desserts that taste extra refreshing and delicious in the hot summer heat. I like to send my kids outside to eat them, so there are no messes inside. :)
Favorite Flavor Combinations
The beauty of this recipe is that there are so many different flavor combinations that taste delicious. Start by choosing your favorite fruit and blend it into a purée. Then use a mixture of Greek yogurt and honey for the creamy base. Vanilla Greek yogurt tastes delicious with just about anything, but you can also use other flavors like coconut. Then layer the fruit and yogurt into the molds.
- Berry: Mixed berries (or choose your favorite berry) + vanilla Greek yogurt + honey
- Tropical: Pineapple (or mangoes or both) + coconut Greek yogurt + honey
- Peach: Peaches + vanilla Greek yogurt + honey
- Kiwi: Kiwi + vanilla Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt) + honey
- Cherry: Cherries + vanilla Greek yogurt + honey
Variation: You can also make another fun version without using Greek yogurt. Add fresh sliced fruit (instead of puréed) to the molds. Then mix together coconut water and honey and pour into the molds over the fruit and freeze. Because the coconut water is clear, you’ll be able to see the different colors of sliced fruit through the popsicles. They are so pretty!
How to Store Homemade Popsicles
Once you have filled the molds, insert a popsicle stick into the tops and then place in the freezer to harden. It usually takes about 4 hours for the popsicles to freeze completely (it may be a little more or a little less depending on your particular freezer). This is a great summer activity to make with your little ones in the afternoon and then enjoy the fruits of your labor for dessert. :)
How to get Homemade Popsicles out of the Mold
Popsicles can sometimes be a little bit tricky to get out of the mold…but have no fear! This easy trick saves the day each and every time. Simply run the popsicle mold under warm (but not hot) water for a few seconds. The popsicles should easily slide right out after that. If they are still stuck, run under the water for a few more seconds and try again. You can also fill a container that’s about the same height as your mold with warm water. Then let the mold sit in the water for about 30 seconds to loosen the popsicles.
Tip for Success
- Layer. Not only does layering the fruit and yogurt make the popsicles look extra pretty, but it makes each bite unique. Some bites may have more fruit flavor, while others taste extra creamy and sweet. When filling the molds, I like to add in the fruit layer first.
- Fresh fruit. Use fruit that’s ripe and in season for the best result. Berries and tropical fruits like pineapples and mangoes taste especially juicy and delicious in the summer time.
- Creamy consistency. Some popsicles have an overly icy texture, but not these! The Greek yogurt helps make them super smooth and creamy, so this isn’t an ingredient I would skip.
- Popsicle mold. This recipe is definitely easier with a popsicle mold. But if you don’t have one on hand, you can make DIY molds at home too. Use a muffin tin and fill each cup with the fruit and yogurt. Then place a popsicle stick in the center of each one and freeze until hard. If the popsicle sticks fall over when you add them, wrap the pan with foil and then poke the sticks through the center of each cup to help stand upright.
More Frozen Treats for Summer
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
EASY Homemade Popsicles
- Popsicle Mold
- 2 cups fresh berries
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt , or your favorite flavor
- 3 Tablespoons honey , add more for desired sweetness
Optional: 1 to 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Purée the berries in a blender. You can add in 1 to 2 Tablespoons of sugar if you'd prefer the popsicles a little sweeter.
- Combine the yogurt and honey in a small bowl.
- Layer the popsicle mold by alternating pouring in the berries and yogurt until it reaches the top (I like to add the berries first).
- Insert popsicle stick into the top and then place into the freezer. Freeze for four hours, or until hard.
- Run mold under warm water for a few seconds and then remove popsicles. Serve while cold.
- 2 cups fresh fruit (such as berries, sliced kiwi, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water or fruit juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Great recipe! loved it sooooo much!! Very fun, easy, and delicious!
So happy to hear you enjoyed it, Elena!
How long am I able to store these in the freezer?
Typically around 3-4 months :)
Can you use frozen fruits? May e crush them while still frozen and use immediately. I think I may try it but let me know. Thanks
I haven’t tried, but that should work. I would try to thaw them a little first so they blend better.
It has been way to long since we made our own popsicles, but you have inspired me! My kids could eat these all day! The tropical one is my fav!
I am excited to try all different kinds of combinations! My kids think it’s so fun to make their own popsicles.
I love that these have only 3-ingredients and that they are healthy too! Perfect summer treat!
Thank you so much for this super easy to make and delicious popsicles recipe! Kids really loves it!