This spinach berry salad is a refreshing salad made with spinach, mixed berries, almonds and a red wine poppyseed vinaigrette. Delicious, healthy and easy to make!
Spring will be here before we know it and this salad with berries needs to be first on your recipe list! I love to enjoy it year round, but especially when fresh berries are in season. Between this and my strawberry spinach salad, you can’t go wrong with the berry goodness!
One of my all time favorite salads is the nuts about berries salad from Zupas. I just love their soup and salad combo. Now that I don’t live near one anymore, I decided it was time to make my own version. I love how it turned out! So much that I ate it for lunch 3 days in a row. :)
This salad is chock full of colors, textures and tastes. But what really makes it is the red wine poppyseed vinaigrette and cinnamon sugared almonds. Sometimes I add in plain sliced almonds, but the cinnamon sugar version really takes it over the top. Seriously so good. I can’t wait to make it again this week!
Spinach Berry Salad ingredients
Greens: Baby spinach is my preference. There’s something about spinach mixed with berries that makes the perfect combination. However spring mix, kale or chopped romaine would taste great too.
Berries: I love to use a mix of fresh berries. My favorites are raspberries, strawberries and blackberries. Sometimes I’ll throw in fresh blueberries as well if I have them on hand.
Nuts: You can use plain sliced almonds, or make the cinnamon sugar version. If I make the cinnamon almonds, I like to whip up a big batch and then store in a container. They’ll stay fresh for a month or two, so you can use them in lots of salads. Candied pecans would taste great as well.
Others: Feel free to add in extras like feta or goat cheese, grilled chicken or sliced red onions.
This dressing is so simple and makes the perfect addition to the berry salad. Simply add all of the ingredient in a bowl or mason jar and whisk until combined. It’s as easy as that! The salad would also taste great topped with a raspberry or balsamic dressing, as well as a classic poppyseed dressing.
- 1/4 cup oil (I prefer half olive and half canola)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon poppyseed (optional)
TIP: To keep the oil and vinegar from separating, whisk in 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum to the dressing.
More delicious salad recipes:
- Strawberry Burrata Salad
- Mandarin Orange Salad
- Apple Cranberry Salad
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Berry Fruit Salad
Spinach Berry Salad Recipe
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 3 cups fresh mixed berries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds , more to taste
- 1/4 cup oil , I like doing half olive and half canola
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar , more to taste
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds , optional
Pinch of salt
- Wash your salad and berries and set aside to dry.
- For the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar and poppy seeds in a bowl or mason jar and whisk until combined. Add a pinch of salt. Shake just before serving.
- For the salad, layer the spinach, berries and nuts and top with dressing.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon