This easy fall salad is filled with chopped greens, apples, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and roasted butternut squash. Then topped with a maple balsamic dressing that brings out the delicious fall flavors!
This harvest salad makes a great side for the holidays. It’s easy, quick and is super flavorful. Other favorites are my apple cranberry spinach salad, oven roasted vegetables and roasted brussels sprouts with pears and cranberries.
Fall harvest salad
This fall salad is full of fall produce and beautiful fall colors. It has everything you love about fall and is anything but boring. It’s super delicious, very filling and comes together quickly!
The harvest salad starts with crisp apples, pumpkin seeds and craisins. You can keep it simple or turn it into a meal and add roasted butternut squash, roasted chicken and rice. It’s so easy to customize this fall salad recipe to meet your needs!
It also makes the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or any fall meal. If I’m serving it alongside a roasted turkey, I usually will just keep it simple. It’s definitely a real show stopper!
Maple balsamic dressing
We love this fall salad topped with this maple vinaigrette. However it also tastes delicious with a classic balsamic vinaigrette or poppy seed dressing.
- Virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
- Mayo or greek yogurt (optional for a creamier dressing)
Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. For a thicker and creamier dressing, add in the mayo or Greek yogurt. Then drizzle on top of butternut squash salad.
Store any leftover maple balsamic dressing in the fridge in an airtight jar for up to 2 weeks.
How to make this fall salad
Step 1: Chop the greens
Chop the greens extra fine and place in a large bowl. I used mixed greens, but feel free to use greens of choice such as spinach, bibb lettuce, kale, shaved brussels or broccoli slaw.
Step 2: Add remaining ingredients
Line the apples, cranberries and pumpkin seeds on top of the chopped greens. Sprinkle the cheese over top. If desired, add in chicken, rice and/or butternut squash.
Step 3: Drizzle with dressing and toss
Just before serving, drizzle the maple balsamic dressing over top and then toss with salad tongs. Serve immediately.
TIP: Check out this post for an easy step-by-step tutorial showing how to peel and cut a butternut squash.
Other types of salads:
- Easy Chopped Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Mandarin Orange Salad
- Mediterranean Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
Fall Salad Recipe
- 8 cups mixed greens , chopped fine
- 1 apple , chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries , more if desired
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds , could sub for pecans
- 2-3 Tablespoons feta or goat cheese
Maple Dijon Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons 100% maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayo or greek yogurt , optional for a creamier dressing
S&P to taste
Optional mix-ins: shredded chicken, wild rice, roasted butternut squash, extra veggies, sliced red onion
- Chop the greens extra fine and place in a large bowl. Line the apples, cranberries and pumpkin seeds on top. Sprinkle the cheese over top. Add chicken, rice and/or butternut squash if desired.
- If making the homemade dressing, whisk together the ingredients. Add the mayo or greek yogurt if you'd like a thicker and creamier dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over top just before serving and then toss with salad tongs. Serve immediately.