This easy fall salad is filled with chopped greens, apples, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and roasted butternut squash. Then topped with a maple balsamic dressing that brings out the delicious fall flavors!
This harvest salad makes a great side for the holidays. It’s easy, quick and is super flavorful. Other favorites are my oven roasted vegetables and roasted brussels sprouts with pears and cranberries.
This fall salad is full of fall produce and beautiful fall colors. It has everything you love about fall and is anything but boring. It’s super delicious, very filling and comes together quickly!
The base starts with greens, crisp apples, pumpkin seeds, craisins and feta or goat cheese. You can keep it simple with those ingredients or turn it into a meal by adding any of the below mix-in’s. It’s so easy to customize this recipe to meet your needs!
- roasted butternut squash
- shredded chicken
- wild rice
- candied pecans
- pomegranate seeds
- sliced red onion
- cornbread croutons
Maple balsamic dressing
This maple balsamic dressing is my absolute favorite for this salad. The maple adds the perfect hint of fall flavor and pairs so nicely with the other ingredients. You could always use a classic balsamic dressing, vinaigrette or poppy seed dressing if preferred.
- virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- maple syrup
- dijon mustard
- mayo or greek yogurt (optional for a creamier dressing)
Instructions: Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. For a thicker and creamier dressing, add in the mayo or Greek yogurt. Then drizzle on top of salad. Store any leftover dressing in the fridge in an airtight jar for up to 2 weeks.
How to make this fall salad
- CHOP. Chop the greens extra fine and place in a large bowl. I used mixed greens, but feel free to use greens of choice such as spinach, bibb lettuce, kale, shaved brussels or broccoli slaw.
- ADD. Line the apples, cranberries and pumpkin seeds on top of the chopped greens. Sprinkle the cheese over top. If desired, add in extra mix-in’s like chicken, rice and/or butternut squash.
- TOSS. Just before serving, drizzle the maple balsamic dressing over top and then toss with salad tongs. Serve immediately.
Other types of salads:
- 8 cups mixed greens (chopped fine)
- 1 apple (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (more if desired)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (could sub for pecans)
- 2-3 Tablespoons feta or goat cheese
Maple Dijon Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons 100% maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayo or greek yogurt (optional for a creamier dressing)
S&P to taste
Optional mix-ins: shredded chicken, wild rice, roasted butternut squash, extra veggies, sliced red onion
- Chop the greens extra fine and place in a large bowl. Line the apples, cranberries and pumpkin seeds on top. Sprinkle the cheese over top. Add chicken, rice and/or butternut squash if desired.
- If making the homemade dressing, whisk together the ingredients. Add the mayo or greek yogurt if you'd like a thicker and creamier dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over top just before serving and then toss with salad tongs. Serve immediately.