This easy homemade balsamic vinaigrette recipe is made with just 5 simple ingredients and is sweet, tangy and super flavorful. Tastes amazing on all your favorite salads!
Table of Contents
Sweet and Tangy Salad Dressing
Balsamic salad dressing recipe is one of my absolute favorites. It has the best combination of flavors and adds the perfect touch to so many different salad recipes.
This balsamic vinaigrette recipe is so easy to whip up in just 5 minutes or less. I bet you already have everything you need in your pantry, too. The flavor is slightly sweet with a little bit of tang from the balsamic vinegar. And the honey adds the perfect sweetness, while helping to bind the oil and vinegar together.
It tastes delicious served over salads, in wraps, or drizzled on top of roasted vegetables. We especially love serving it with a big chopped salad or steak salad. It also tastes delicious drizzled over a caprese salad. You really can’t go wrong any way you enjoy it!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Balsamic vinegar: A bit more sweet than other vinegars, made from unfermented grape juice. Also has notes of tangy and sour flavors.
- Olive oil: Used to emulsify the dressing, as well as balance out the tangy flavor from the vinegar. A high quality extra virgin olive oil will make a difference in the overall taste.
- Honey: Adds a sweet flavor and thick texture.
- Dijon mustard: Savory, tangy and spicy. Also used as an emulsifier to help keep the oil and vinegar together.
- Garlic: Using freshly minced garlic will add the boldest flavor.
- Salt and pepper: A sprinkle of fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper helps round out the flavors in this balsamic vinaigrette.
For a balsamic dressing that’s more thick and creamy, feel free to add in a few spoonful’s of mayo or Greek yogurt. You can also substitute maple syrup for honey to make vegan or use regular mustard in place of Dijon if preferred.
How to Make Balsamic Vinaigrette
Ready in just 5 minutes, this homemade balsamic vinaigrette recipe couldn’t be more simple to make and knocks store-bought dressing out of the park!
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl or mason jar.
- Whisk until the dressing is well combined. Then cover with lid and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Shake the dressing just before serving, then drizzle over your favorite salad.
- Balsamic vinaigrette ratio. I like to use a ratio of 1/4 cup vinegar to 1/2 cup oil. Feel free to play around with the ratio to your taste. If you prefer a tangier dressing, add in a bit more vinegar.
- Quality ingredients. This is the time to whip out the high quality olive oil and vinegar to really enhance the flavor of the vinaigrette. Look for aged vinegar (at least 12 years) and a European olive oil if you can find it.
- Separation. Oil has a tendency to separate from the vinegar once stored. Giving it a big shake before using again will do the trick! If the oil has a solid consistency from chilling in the fridge, you can run the jar under warm water to quickly liquify again.
I love to keep the balsamic dressing in a mason jar in the fridge. It will keep for up to 2 weeks. Before each use, just give it a big shake since the oil and vinegar will likely separate.
Ways to Use Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
This homemade balsamic vinaigrette recipe isn’t just for salads! Use it on veggies, wraps or as a marinade for your favorite meats and seafood. Get creative with it!
- Salads: Tossed with a Mediterranean salad, spinach berry salad or caprese pasta salad.
- Veggies: Drizzled over oven roasted vegetables or grilled vegetables. Balsamic roasted carrots are another favorite!
- Marinade: Use to marinate your meat or seafood for an extra tender and flavorful result. Grilled chicken, steak kabobs and balsamic glazed salmon are all delicious ideas!
More Homemade DressingsBrowse all
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a mason jar. Whisk or shake until well combined.
- Store with a lid in the refrigerator. Shake just before serving. Enjoy over your favorite salad.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!