Peppermint Bark – Delicious layers of dark and white chocolate topped with pieces of crushed candy canes. Takes only 4 ingredients and is made in just 30 minutes. This peppermint bark recipe is one of the easiest holiday treats!
I love all things peppermint, especially around Christmas. It’s one of those classic holiday flavors that adds the perfect touch to any dessert. This chocolate peppermint bark is one of my favorite peppermint recipes to make, as well as peppermint graham cracker toffee, chocolate peppermint cake and peppermint cheesecake bars.
Chocolate peppermint bark
Peppermint bark is one of my all time favorite holiday treats to make. It has the best Christmas flavors and adds the perfect touch to any holiday plate. Plus it’s SO easy to make! It takes just 30 minutes and you only need 4 simple ingredients. Seriously one of the easiest and most delicious holiday treats!
This peppermint bark also makes a great holiday gift! Making it homemade is so much better than buying it from the store…you can definitely tell the difference! To give your gift a personal touch, try using this free Christmas treat box printable and Christmas gift tags printable. These will help to make your peppermint bark gift more fun and festive!
Ingredients for peppermint bark candy
This peppermint bark recipe is so easy to make! You just need 4 simple ingredients to get started. Check them out below.
- Dark chocolate
- White chocolate
- Peppermint extract
- Candy canes
NOTE: High quality ingredients make all the difference. I prefer Ghirardelli melting wafers or bars, Lindt or Bakers brand. You don’t want to use chocolate chips for this peppermint bark recipe…it won’t set up right.
How to make peppermint bark
Scroll down for the printable peppermint bark recipe.
- Line a 9×9″ baking sheet with foil. Press smooth.
- Crush candy canes in a food processor or blender.
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave safe bowl or over double broiler and stir until smooth. Pour in pan and tap against counter to remove air bubbles. Let sit for 5-10 mins.
- Melt white chocolate and then add peppermint extract and mix. Pour mixture over dark chocolate. Tap against counter, then sprinkle crushed candy canes on top. Gently press them into the white chocolate.
- Set aside until chocolate has firmed, about 30 minutes to an hour. Then lift peppermint bark out of pan and break into pieces.
How do you melt chocolate for peppermint bark?
If you are using the Ghirardelli melting wafers, you can melt them in a microwave safe bowl. I always microwave the bowl for one minute at 50% power. Then stir and microwave (at 50% power) in 15 second increments, stirring until smooth.
You can also melt the bakers chocolate in a double broiler if you have one. Simply boil the water, place the double broiler over top and stir the chocolate occasionally until melted.
How do you crush candy canes for peppermint bark?
The fastest and easiest way to crush candy canes is in a blender or food processor. You could also place them in a zip top bag and smash them with a rolling pin.
How long does homemade peppermint bark last?
This white chocolate peppermint bark will last up to 2 weeks if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it should keep for about 1 to 2 weeks longer.
Can peppermint bark be frozen?
Yes! This peppermint bark holds up very well in the freezer. To freeze, just wrap in foil and then place in an airtight container. It will keep for about 1 to 2 months in the freezer. Sometimes I’ll double the peppermint bark recipe and stick half in the freezer. Then when I’m craving something sweet, I’ll grab a piece. I actually love how the texture hardens when in the freezer!
Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 5 candy canes (or 12 hard peppermint candies)
- 10 ounces dark chocolate melting wafers (or high quality bakers chocolate)
- 10 ounces white melting wafers (or high quality bakers chocolate)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Line a 9x9" baking sheet with foil. Press smooth.
- Place the candy canes in a zip top bag and crush with a rolling pin, or place in a food processor or blender.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or over a double broiler. Stir until smooth and then pour into pan. Tap dish against the counter to remove any air bubbles. Set aside. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to set (not harden).
- Melt the white chocolate. Then add the peppermint extract and mix together. Pour white chocolate mixture over the dark chocolate. Tap the dish against the counter to remove any bubbles. Then immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes over top. Gently press them into the white chocolate.
- Set aside until chocolate has firmed up (about 30 minutes - 1 hour). Then lift bark out of pan and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
- If you are using the Ghirardelli melting wafers, you can melt them in a microwave safe bowl. I always microwave the bowl for one minute at 50% power. Then stir and microwave (at 50% power) in 15 second increments, stirring until smooth.
- You can also melt them in a double broiler if you have one. Simply boil the water, place the double broiler over top and stir the chocolate occasionally until melted.