My favorite recipe for cheesy potatoes – aka funeral potatoes or cheesy potato casserole. This dish is so comforting, always a crowd pleaser and perfect for any holiday dinner. You’ll love these delicious cheese potatoes!
This cheesy potato casserole is a staple at our holiday dinners. It’s one of my favorite potato dishes and always gets rave reviews. I also love cheesy scalloped potatoes, sweet potato casserole, savory scalloped potatoes and creamy mashed potatoes.
Cheesy potatoes recipe
If you’re looking for a recipe for cheesy potatoes for your holiday dinners this year…I’ve got your back! These cheesy potatoes (also known as funeral potatoes or cheesy potato casserole) are to die for! We have them at every holiday meal and they’re always a HUGE hit!
Cheese potatoes are my moms specialty and are a classic recipe that’s been passed down from my Grandma. I made them for a church event a few weeks ago and had to call her for the recipe. And now of course, I have to share them with you!
This cheesy potato casserole is one of my all time favorite side dishes. If you know me, you know I absolutely LOVE potatoes. You can usually find my plate ratio with mostly potatoes on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I of course love homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, but then you can’t miss the cheesy potato bake as well!
How to make cheesy potatoes
If you haven’t tried this cheesy potato recipe, it’s a must this year! We always make them for Christmas and Easter (served with ham, vegetables, and homemade rolls). The version my mom makes omits the cream of chicken and cracker topping (to save on calories), but I love the extra creaminess it adds and the crunchy topping. So I go all out for the holidays. Feel free to omit as well if you’d like, they are still super yummy ;)
- Preheat oven and butter a 9×13″ baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine potatoes, green onions, sour cream, cream of chicken, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1 cup cheese in medium bowl. Stir, then spread into baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and crushed ritz (or cornflakes). Drizzle remaining melted butter on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling hot.
Scroll down for the printable cheesy potato recipe and video tutorial.
Recipe for Cheesy Potatoes
- 30 ounce bag hash browns (or country style shredded potatoes or cubed potatoes, thawed)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped, about 1/4 cup)
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken (or celery soup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup melted butter (plus 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers (or cornflakes, potato chips or panko crumbs, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 9×13" baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine potatoes, green onions, sour cream, cream of chicken, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1 cup of cheese. Stir until combined. Then spread into the baking dish.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and crushed Ritz crackers. Drizzle remaining 2 Tablespoons of melted butter on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling hot. If using cubed potatoes instead of shredded hash browns, bake for about 40 minutes.