These crockpot cheesy potatoes are tender, creamy and loaded with flavor. An easy dump and go side dish that takes just 5 minutes prep!
This delicious side dish is always on our Thanksgiving menu. I usually bake my cheesy potatoes in the oven, but this year I decided to try out this crockpot version instead. It tastes just as delicious and was seriously so easy. You can’t mess it up!
These crockpot cheesy potatoes are the perfect Thanksgiving side dish to make if you want to free up some oven space while you cook your roasted turkey or baked ham. They’re super creamy and cheesy, with the absolute best flavor. It’s always a tie between these and my cheesy scalloped potatoes for favorite side dish of the night.
This is also a great option to bring if a friend or family member is hosting the holiday dinner. You can simply bring your crockpot in the car with you, then plug it back in on the warm setting once you arrive. You won’t be using extra oven space and the potatoes will stay nice and warm the whole time!
How to make slow cooker cheesy potatoes
- MIX. Add all of the ingredients (only use half of the cheese) to your crockpot. Mix together until combined.
- COOK. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- TOP. When there is about 10 to 15 minutes left on the timer, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover with the lid and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Before serving, let set for 5 minutes.
- Potatoes. Diced or shredded frozen potatoes will both work. Just make sure to let them thaw completely and then drain any excess water before adding to the crockpot.
- Cream soup. This makes the texture extra creamy and delicious. You can use cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup (I prefer the flavor of chicken the best). You can also make a homemade cream of chicken soup if you’re not a fan of the canned version.
- Grate your own cheese. This makes all the difference. The pre-shedded bags have extra additives that make it harder for the cheese to melt. Grating your own gives the potatoes that gooey, melted texture that’s loved by all.
- Oven method. If the oven is more convenient, try this easy baked cheesy potato recipe.
- Additions. For even more flavor, sprinkle on toppings like crumbled bacon or chopped green onions. You can even mix in some hot sauce or buffalo sauce for a dash of heat.
More easy crockpot side dishes:
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- 30 ounce bag hash browns (diced or shredded, thawed)
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken (or celery or mushroom)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter (I use salted)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (more if desired)
- Make sure your potatoes are mostly thawed and drain any excess water.
- In the base of the crockpot, combine potatoes, sour cream, cream of chicken, melted butter, onion powder, salt and pepper. Then mix in half of the shredded cheese. Stir until combined.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- The last 10-15 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over top and cover. Cook until bubbly.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Then enjoy while warm!