The perfect stamped shortbread cookies to make cut out, pressed or stamped shortbread cookies. These cookies are so easy to make with only 4 ingredients, melt in your mouth, and turn out beautiful every time.
These shortbread cookies are the perfect cookie to make when you’re wanting to make cookies last minute. They are so easy to whip up and I bet you already have all the ingredients on hand. They are also a great recipe for the kids to help with. They taste delicious plain, but could be dressed up with frosting, glaze, drizzled chocolate, nuts or sprinkles.
My kids and I had such a fun afternoon baking these cookies. They loved using the stamps and ended up making these cookies all by themselves, with just a little bit of assistance. It sure was messy, but I have found that if I tell myself going into the kitchen with kids that it’s going to be a mess, I end up not freaking out about it. ;)
How to make shortbread cookies
This shortbread cookie recipe starts with 4 simple ingredients: butter, sugar, vanilla and flour. That’s it!
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Mix in the flour slowly and stir just until combined. Roll into balls and place on pan.
- Press the stamp lightly into flour and then press directly on top of the cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Make sure to use only real butter and vanilla in these shortbread cookies to get the best flavor.
- A little tip with using cookie stamps. Make sure to dip the stamp into flour BEFORE stamping (preferably after each stamp) to keep the dough from sticking.
- Lightly wiggle the stamp back and forth before lifting it off the dough.
- Bake these stamp cookies just until the bottoms are slightly golden, you don’t want to overcook these, unless you like crunchy shortbread cookies.
More easy cookie recipes
- Cake mix cookies -made with only 3 ingredients!
- No bake cookies -done in less than 20 minutes!
- Handmade sugar cookies – a little more work but so worth it.
- Ricotta cheese cookies -a fun twist on a sugar cookie.
- Cinnamon roll sugar cookies -a cinnamon twist on a classic cookie.
- Sugar cookie bars -this recipe is made easy in a 9×13 pan.
Shortbread cookie recipe
- 1 cup 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cookie stamps
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar and vanilla. Whip using an electric mixer, for one minute or until it is nice and fluffy. Slowly mix in the flour and stir just until combined and the dough is smooth.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, or 1.5 Tablespoons, scoop out the dough and roll into a ball. If using stamps, lightly flour the stamp. Then press down firmly on the dough ball with the stamp until the dough is about 1/4″ thick. Gently pull the stamp away. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are slightly golden. You don’t want the tops or edges to brown. Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.