These cranberry orange shortbread cookies are so rich and buttery, with the most delicious combination of flavors. They’re the perfect cookie to share with friends and family this holiday season!
Orange Cranberry Cookie
I love to bake all types of cookie recipes during the holiday season. These cranberry shortbread cookies have a great Christmas flavor and are so delicious! I also love to make ginger molasses cookies, spritz cookies and white chocolate cranberry cookies.
I’m so excited to share these adorable and delicious cranberry orange shortbread cookies with you today! They’re crisp and buttery, studded with dried cranberries, and have the perfect hint of orange flavoring. Dipping them in white chocolate is definitely optional, but it adds a sweet creaminess and makes these cookies extra fancy. You could even drizzle them with white chocolate, too! I love that there are so many different flavors and textures to experiment with, and it’s always fun to dream up new cookie creations.
How to make cranberry cookies
Scroll down for the printable recipe below.
- DOUGH. Beat butter and powdered sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy. Add orange zest, vanilla and orange extract and mix until combined. Then add the flour and salt and mix to form a thick dough. Form dough into a log shape that’s about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap dough in parchment paper or plastic wrap and freeze for thirty minutes.
- BAKE. Near end of chilling time, preheat oven to 325°F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut cookie dough into 1/4 inch slices and place 1/4 inch apart baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges.
- DIP. After the cookies have cooled, melt chocolate candy melts or chocolate bark. Dip each cookie into the chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet to cool.
Great for gifting!
One great thing about these cookies is that they are pretty sturdy, so they would be perfect for shipping to friends or family far away. They last several weeks if stored in an airtight container, so they are perfect for shipping. They’re also perfect for neighbor gifts, cookie trays, and holiday parties!
More Christmas cookie recipes:
- Butter cookies
- Chocolate crinkle cookies
- Mexican wedding cookies
- Christmas sugar cookies
- Gingerbread man cookies
Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add the orange zest, vanilla and orange extract, and mix until combined. Add the flour, salt and cranberries. Mix to form a thick dough.
- Shape the dough into a log that is approximately 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in parchment or plastic wrap, and freeze thirty minutes.
- Near the end of the chilling time, preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone. Slice the cookie dough into 1/4 inch slices, and place 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- After the cookies have cooled, melt the candy melts according to the package directions. Dip each cookie into the candy melts and place on a parchment lined baking sheet to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Photography and recipe contributed by Alicia from The Baker Upstairs.