Soft and chewy triple chocolate chip cookies. Made with semi-sweet chips, chocolate chunks and cocoa powder. A chocolate lovers dream cookie!
These triple chocolate chunk cookies are completely irresistible. Rich, fudgy and customizable with your favorite chocolate! I have 4 different ways to make these cookies today… but really the possibilities are endless.
For the base of these cookies I start with semi-sweet chocolate chips and my favorite Private Selection dark chocolate chunks from Kroger. They are pretty much a staple in any cookie I make now days. They are so good. Every week I order my groceries on ClickList (which has saved me so much time and money) and these always pop in the recommended section. What can I say… I love chocolate!
You could also use a milk chocolate chip instead of semi sweet. I also used two different kinds of cocoa powder (dark and natural unsweetened) to add an extra depth of richness, but you’re more than welcome to use one or the other. If you’d like to make a double chocolate cookie, just use one type of chocolate chip and one cocoa powder. I love the triple effect from both the chips and chunks though. I also love topping them with a little bit of sea salt to really bring out the flavor.
Triple chocolate chip cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I like to sub 1/4 cup special dark powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the sugar. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix just until combined. Add the chocolate chips and then refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough onto the pan using a large cookie scoop (or about 2 Tablespoons). Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are slightly crisp, yet soft in the middle.
4 different ways to make triple chocolate chip cookies
Here are the other 4 versions I’m sharing today, but really the possibilities are endless. This chocolate cookie dough is a great base. White chocolate chips is always a winner too.
Salted caramel chips – I also found these at Kroger in the baking section and had to get my hands on them. They were so yummy! They don’t get gooey like a normal caramel would, but they do have a great flavor.
Monster eye cookies- Since Halloween is coming up, I thought it would be fun to make some of these with candy eyes. All I did was melt a little bit of chocolate and place it on the back of the eye to go on the cookie. Simple and the kids loved these!
White chocolate dipped chocolate cookie -For these cookies we melted white chocolate melting wafers and then dipped half the cookie and placed them on wax paper to harden. We sprinkled half of them with orange sprinkles for a fun Halloween treat. For Christmas you could do red and green sprinkles. ;)
Reese’s pieces cookies – these are for the peanut butter lovers! Simply mix 1/2 cup – 1 cup into the dough and bake. Another fun Halloween treat!
If you’re feeling extra crafty, you could even stick a few of these cookies into a clear bag and tie with ribbon. You can also download these adorable free printable ‘Happy Halloween’ tags for free HERE. These would make a great teacher, ‘you’ve been booed‘ or neighbor gift.
Hope you enjoy these cookies for Halloween (or any time of year)! We love making them year round. ENJOY!