Soft and chewy triple chocolate chip cookies made with semi-sweet chips, chocolate chunks and cocoa powder. A chocolate lover’s dream cookie!
Best Chocolate Cookie
This is hands down one of my favorite cookie recipes ever. They’re super fudgy and have an amazing rich flavor. Plus they’re crispy on the outsides with a super soft center. Seriously to die for!
These triple chocolate chunk cookies are completely irresistible. Rich, fudgy and customizable with your favorite chocolate! For the base of these cookies, I start with semi-sweet chocolate chips and my favorite dark chocolate chunks. I honestly think the chunks make the cookies.
If you’d like to make a double chocolate cookie, just use one type of chocolate chip and one cocoa powder. I also love topping them with a little bit of sea salt to really bring out the flavor.
How to make triple chocolate cookies
CREAM. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
MIX. In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips and chill the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
BAKE. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in oven at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes, or even until edges are slightly crisp and the center is soft.
- You could use milk, white or caramel chips if preferred.
- Make sure to refrigerate the dough for 15 to 20 minutes before baking. This prevents spreading and gives the cookies the perfect thick texture.
- Add a few extra chocolate chunks on top before baking. It makes them look extra pretty!
- Remove from oven when the edges are crisp, but the centers are soft. They’ll continue baking on the pan and will have the perfectly soft and chewy texture.
- Top with a sprinkle of sea salt to really bring out the flavor.
Freezing the dough
You could absolutely freeze the dough if you’d like. I would recommend shaping the dough into balls and “flash freezing” them on a cookie sheet until they’ve hardened (about 20 to 30 minutes). Then add them to a freezer bag to store. Once ready to bake, remove from the freezer and let thaw for 15-20 minutes before baking. :)
4 different ways to make them
Here are 4 other ways to make these cookies, but really the possibilities are endless. This cookie dough is a great base. White chocolate chips is always a winner too.
- Salted caramel chips – I found mine at Kroger in the baking section and had to get my hands on them. They were so yummy! They don’t get gooey like a normal caramel would, but they do have a great flavor.
- Monster eye cookies – This is a fun Halloween version using candy eyes. All I did was melt a little bit of chocolate and place it on the back of the eye to go on the cookie. Simple and the kids loved these!
- White chocolate dipped cookies – For these cookies, we melted white melting wafers and then dipped half the cookie and placed them on wax paper to harden. You could add some fun Halloween or Christmas sprinkles too.
- Reese’s pieces cookies – These are for the peanut butter lovers! Simply mix 1/2 cup – 1 cup into the dough and bake. Another fun treat for Halloween!
More chocolaty desserts:
- Marshmallow Brownies
- 3-Ingredient Oreo Balls
- Rolo Cake Mix Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
Triple Chocolate Cookie Recipe
- 2 sticks unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I like to sub 1/4 cup special dark powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips , or milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- flake sea salt , optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix just until combined. Add the chocolate chips and then refrigerate the dough for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough onto the pan using a large cookie scoop (or about 2 Tablespoons).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly crisp, yet soft in the middle. Allow to set on the pan for 2 minutes and then move to a cooling rack. Top with flaked sea salt if desired.