These chocolate M&M cookies have triple the chocolate with cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and colorful candy-coated M&M’s. Crisp edges, a soft chewy middle, and perfectly rich and decadent.
Chocolate lover’s cookie
These incredible cookies are perfect for every chocolate lover! They taste like a mix between my favorite M&M cookies and triple chocolate chip cookies. They are super fudgy and rich, but not overly sweet. Forewarning, they’ll be devoured in seconds!
Your kids will love the pop of color from the M&Ms, and really, what is better than smelling a batch of homemade cookies?! Dunking freshly baked chocolate m and m cookies into a cold glass of milk, that’s what!
They’re pretty irresistible, especially with the rich chocolaty chewy texture. You really can’t stop at just one. Whether you’re making them for Valentine’s day, 4th of July or you’ll be freezing a batch for another occasion, these crowd-pleasing cookies will not disappoint.
How to make chocolate M&M cookies
- Cream. Cream the softened butter and sugars together in a large bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Whisk. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in the M&Ms and chocolate chips.
- Chill. Put the dough in the fridge to chill for anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 days. This makes it a great make-ahead cookie dough! You can also scoop them into dough balls and freeze them for up to 3 months before baking.
- Preheat. Turn the oven on and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. You’ll need two sheets to make the full batch. If you plan on baking a batch and chilling the other for a while, you’ll only need one sheet.
- Scoop & bake. Scoop the dough onto the pan with a large cookie scoop and bake until the edges are slightly crisp. The center will be soft in the middle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before transferring to a cooling rack.
Tips for success
Easy to follow tips that will help get you the best possible outcome for these delicious cookies!
- No mess. Use a Silpat baking mat for easy cleanup and no sticking.
- Chill time. Refrigerate the dough, to help them stay thick and chewy.
- Even baking. Start with your ingredients at room temperature, including eggs and butter. Helps with even baking.
- Softened butter. You want the butter soft, but not too warm. Otherwise, the cookies will spread too much when baking.
- Dutch-processed cocoa. Substitute 1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder. It’s a more neutral-tasting cocoa powder and reacts well to the baking powder and baking soda in the recipe, which means cookies will remain nice and thick!
- Cookie scoop. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop dough onto the baking sheet. This ensures the M&M cookies are all equal in size. If you don’t have one, you can use about 3 tbsp of dough per cookie.
- Extra candy. Add extra M&M’s on top once the dough balls have been formed. It adds extra color and looks much nicer!
- Cooling. Allow the M&M cookies to set on the pan for 2-3 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
Storing + freezing
Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More desserts you’ll love:
Chocolate M&M Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder , I like to sub 1/4 cup dutch powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt , or table salt
- 1 cup M&M's , more for tops if desired
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix just until combined. Add the m&m's and chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 to 60 minutes (or up to 2 days).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough onto the pan using a large cookie scoop (or about 3 Tablespoons). Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly crisp, yet soft in the middle. Remove from oven. Use a spatula to shape cookies (while warm) if needed and add more M&M's on top if desired.
- Allow cookies to cool on pan for 2-3 minutes and then move to a cooling rack.
- Store in a covered container for 2-3 days or in the freezer for 3 months.