Apple pull apart bread filled with brown sugar cinnamon apples and topped with the most amazing caramel icing. The perfect fall dessert!
Autumn is one of my favorite times of year. The crisp morning air, apple picking, pumpkin patches and baking. We picked our first batch of apples and I have a feeling there will be lots of apple desserts in the near future. Today I’m sharing one of our favorites: apple cinnamon pull apart bread. The best part about it may possibly be the caramel icing, so don’t forget it!
This pull apart apple bread has all of my favorite ingredients – brown sugar, butter, apples, cinnamon, powdered sugar, cream and caramel. It is super easy to make and made with pre-made dough. I like to use canned biscuits or rolls. You could always use the dough from my favorite sweet rolls (and cut out circles), but I like making this one easy.
How to make apple pull apart bread
FILLING. The apple pie filling starts with melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped granny smith apples. The perfect mixture if you ask me. Sometimes I love cooking it on the stove top and serving it over pancakes…or pretty much anything. YUM!
ASSEMBLY. Then you’re going to add the apple mixture on top of each biscuit. Next stack the biscuits in 4 piles of 4 biscuits each. Then carefully place them in the loaf pan. Add any remaining apples in between the dough.
GLAZE. Once it’s baked, you’ll add a caramel glaze which is truly amazing. It’s made with a simple vanilla glaze and caramel sauce mixed in. Simply drizzle the glaze evenly over top of the bread. Just look at that glaze dripping over the sides (below). Truly divine!
- You can use either canned biscuits or rolls for this recipe.
- I prefer to use granny smith apples because they’re crisp and hold their shape while baking. If using another variety, make sure it’s crisp.
- Evenly dice the apples into small pieces, that way you taste the apple with every bite.
- You can also make this bread in a round bundt pan, however you’ll likely need to double the recipe to fill the whole pan.
More apple desserts you’ll love:
Apple Pull Apart Bread
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 16 ounce can of biscuits (I like to use Pillsbury original)
- 2 granny smith apples peeled, cored and diced
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon cream , can sub with milk (use more as needed)
- 2 Tablespoons caramel sauce , warmed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a loaf pan (I used 8x4") and set aside. Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside (it will thicken a little as it stands).
- Open the can of biscuits and separate each biscuit into 2 layers (so you have a total of 16 circles). Flatten them out.
- Next stir the apples into the brown sugar mixture and then add about 1-2 Tablespoon on top of each biscuit. Stack biscuits in 4 piles of 4 biscuits each. Then carefully place them in the loaf pan. Add any remaining apples in between the dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cover with foil and then bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is browned and the center is no longer doughy. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly in pan.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, cream/milk and caramel sauce in a small bowl. Add more cream/milk as needed. Then drizzle over the top of the bread. Enjoy while warm!
Hope you enjoy this apple pull apart bread! What will you be baking this fall?