Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars – Sugared crust, cinnamon apples topped with the perfect crumble and salted caramel. This easy apple dessert is the definition of fall and is absolutely delicious. Definitely add this apple pie bars recipe to your baking list this season!
Apples and caramel are such an amazing combination. These apple pie bars are one of my favorite caramel apple desserts to make, as well as caramel apple monkey bread, apple pull apart bread with caramel icing and apple cheesecake pie topped with salted caramel.
Apple pie bars
One of my favorite traditions in the fall is going apple picking with my family. My kids always have a blast sitting on our shoulders reaching for the highest apples they can find. Once fall arrives, I start making lots of apple desserts. They are my favorite, so it’s always nice to have extra apples on hand. If you’re planning on going apple picking this season, add this apple pie bars recipe to your baking list! You won’t be disappointed!
Ingredients for caramel apple bars
- Sugar (regular and brown)
- Old fashioned oats
- Caramel sauce
Quick tips for apple pie bars recipe
- Serve with a drizzle of salted caramel and scoop of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate treat.
- I like to use apples that have both a sweet and tart flavor, such as honeycrisp, gala or granny smith.
- Place apple pie bars in the refrigerator to let set for about 2 hours (or even overnight). This helps them to form into the most perfect bar consistency.
- These salted caramel apple pie bars can be eaten both cold or warm, based on preference.
- Apple pie bars will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If you have extra, you can freeze the apple pie bars. When ready to eat, thaw and add desired toppings.
Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large apples (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 Tablespoons chilled butter cubed
Optional: Salted Carmel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray 9×9 pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- For the crust mix the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in bowl until combined. Add flour and mix again. Using your hands press the crust mixture into the 9×9 pan until all mixture is evenly distributed. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking prepare the apple filling. Put sliced apples in large bowl. Pour flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until apples are coated. Set aside.
- To make the crumb topping combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in small bowl. Use your hands or a pastry blender to mix in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Remove crust from the oven and then preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour the apple mixture on top of warm crust and use the back of a spoon to press down the apples to lay across smoothly. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of apples until covered. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes at room temperature. Then place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours. Cut apple pie bars and serve warm or cold. Drizzle the carmel sauce on top just before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction