Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – Only one bowl and wooden spoon required! Super moist and has the perfect amount of sweetness. The best dessert to make for Easter Sunday or any celebration!
Carrot cake tastes amazing all year round, but I especially love to serve it at our Easter brunch or dinner. It’s one of those classic Easter desserts that everyone always looks forward to. Some of our other Easter dessert favorites are coconut macaroons, carrot cake cupcakes, chocolate egg nests and Easter egg layered cake.
This carrot cake is super moist and is such a delicious treat! The recipe comes together so easily and is perfect for a small dinner party. I also love that you just need one bowl and a wooden spoon. No mixer required!
The carrot cake is so moist and has the perfect sweetness from the pineapple. Plus the rich cream cheese frosting is to die for. I could have just eaten it by the spoon (okay maybe I did…shhh). There will most likely be leftover frosting, so feel free to just dive in. Or spread it on graham crackers (or just about anything). That is one of my favorite childhood treats.
Carrot cake ingredients
You’ll need the simple carrot cake ingredients below to get started. Feel free to add in any extras that you prefer, like raisins or nuts. I also like to top my carrot cake with toasted coconut…yum!
- Canola oil
- Granulated sugar
- Crushed pineapple
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
How many carrots grated make a cup?
You’ll need freshly grated carrots to make this carrot cake recipe (don’t use pre-grated, they’re too big). You can either use a hand grater (use the large holes) or you can use a food processor to make it faster. You’ll need about 2 medium carrots to make a cup of grated carrots. You might want to buy a couple of extra though just in case. :)
How to make carrot cake
Scroll down for the printable carrot cake recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Stir together oil and sugar with a wooden spoon in a large bowl. Then add in eggs, carrots, pineapple and vanilla and mix. Next add in flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon and salt and stir just until combined.
- Pour carrot cake batter in pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick comes clean. Let cake cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Frost carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, then cover cake until ready to serve.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
TIP: For the ultimate treat, try topping your carrot cake with toasted coconut. It adds incredible flavor and just the right amount of sweetness!
How do you store carrot cake?
To store, simply cover carrot cake with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator. The cake with keep for about 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you plan on freezing this carrot cake, I’d recommend cutting the cake into squares then freezing them in the pan overnight. This allows the icing to harden up, so that it won’t stick. Then wrap squares in plastic wrap and add to a zip top bag. Place in the freezer for 2-3 months. When ready to enjoy, simply remove plastic wrap and thaw in fridge.
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil , plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 1 cup packed freshly grated carrots
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple , drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir the oil and sugar together with a wooden spoon. Then stir in the eggs, carrots, pineapple and vanilla. Next stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and stir, just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes clean. Let the cake cool completely.
- For the cream cheese frosting, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting, then cover until ready to serve. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Dessert for Two by Christina Lane.
Carrot cake with caramel cream cheese frosting
This carrot cake with caramel cream cheese frosting is such a fun carrot cake variation that tastes amazing! Simply add 1/2 cup dulce de leche to the frosting and a pinch of salt if desired. You can even make a fun caramel swirl by placing 9 dots on top of the cake, then swirling with a knife. The caramel flavor adds a great touch and pairs wonderfully with the other flavors of the carrot cake. Yum!