Delicious carrot cake cupcakes that are super rich, soft and topped with a smooth cream cheese frosting. These adorable cupcakes make the perfect Easter treat!
With Easter right around the corner, I wanted to share this delicious dessert with you! I love a classic carrot cake, but carrot cupcakes are such a fun twist. They’re moist, fluffy and have amazing flavor. They’re my new favorite Easter dessert!
A few years back, I wrote down several of my grandma’s recipes for my own recipe book. This carrot cake cupcake recipe was one of them. The original recipe wasn’t quite sweet enough, so I’ve tested it a few times and finally came up with the perfect sweetness. Plus the cream cheese frosting takes them over the top. So rich, creamy and adds a great touch. YUM!
If you want to jazz them up even more for Easter, try turning them into mini “carrot pots.” So simple and cute! And the perfect treat for the kids on Easter. My kids absolutely LOVED them!
How to make carrot cake cupcakes
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Mix batter. Whisk together flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, salt and all-spice in a bowl. Set aside. Next beat the eggs for 2-3 minutes in a large bowl. Then stir in sugar, oil, sour cream and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture into wet mixture until combined. Fold in carrots.
- Fill. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full (don’t overfill, or else they’ll get that dreaded “mushroom top”).
- Bake. Bake at 350°F in the oven for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Frosting. To make frosting, simply beat together cream cheese and butter. Then slowly mix in powdered sugar. Add in vanilla and mix until combined. Then frost the cupcakes once cooled completely.
TIP: To save time, buy pre shredded carrots. Just make sure to pulse them in a blender a few times so that the pieces are thin and small, but not puréed. You can also use a food processor to shred your own carrots.
- Frosting. I love to frost my carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I used my 1m tip to frost them. You can find the tutorial on how to frost the perfect cupcakes here. You could also use a classic buttercream frosting as well or even sprinkle some toasted coconut on top of your frosting for more flavor.
- Carrot pots. I also spotted these adorable baking pots and knew that they would be perfect to make “carrot pots” for the kids. To make them, I simply filled the pots with the batter and then baked them. Then I frosted the tops and dipped them in brown sprinkles. For a fun touch, I cut small pieces of green candy Easter grass and stuck a few pieces of an orange candy dot on top.
Storing + freezing
To store frosted cupcakes, simply place in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for about 2-3 days in the fridge. If you’d like to freeze the cupcakes, make sure to freeze them unfrosted. They’ll keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More fun Easter treats:
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon all-spice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and all-spice in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs for 2-3 minutes. Add in sugar, oil, sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in carrots.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full and bake for about 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make cream cheese frosting, simply beat together the cream cheese and butter. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar. Add in vanilla and mix until combined.
- Frost the cupcakes once cooled.