A rich chocolate cupcake filled with Cadbury eggs and topped with a creamy and delicious caramel frosting. These Cadbury Easter cupcakes are amazing and one of my favorite Easter desserts!
This recipe is a fun twist on my famous chocolate cupcakes and are perfect for celebrating the Easter holiday. They are a chocolate lover’s dream and taste seriously incredible. Plus that caramel buttercream on top is to die for!
If you’re looking for something decadent to make this Easter, boy do I have the perfect Easter cupcakes for you. My kids said these are their favorite cupcake yet. But how can you possibly go wrong with chocolate and caramel Cadbury eggs? You just can’t!
I had to give them away, or else I literally would have eaten the whole pan. They are THAT good. The caramel frosting on top is so creamy and delicious and the actual cupcake itself is rich and perfect for chocolate lovers. Seriously so much goodness packed into these cupcakes.
How to make Easter cupcakes
Scroll down for the printable recipe and video tutorial.
- Mix batter. Stir together cake mix, chocolate pudding and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Mix in eggs, oil and water. Then add sour cream and stir. Scoop the caramel out of the large Cadbury eggs and set aside in small bowl. Then chop up the chocolate from the eggs and stir into the batter.
- Fill. Pour batter into cupcake liners, about 3/4 full. Place a mini Cadbury egg in the center of each cupcake.
- Bake. Bake at 325°F for 20-23 minutes, until they spring back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely on cooling rack.
- Frost. Melt the caramel in a microwave safe bowl. Then whip the butter in a large mixing bowl. Next slowly add in 2 cups powdered sugar and mix. Then add vanilla, milk/cream, melted caramel and 1 more cup of powdered sugar. Add last cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add more or less milk/cream to reach desired consistency. Then pipe the frosting on top of the each of the cupcakes.
- Don’t overfill. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full (don’t fill them to the top or else they will overflow and have mushroom tops).
- Avoid sinking. Instead of folding the chocolate chips into the batter at the end, I like to mix the chocolate chips in with the cake mix and pudding mix. The flour from the cake mix helps make sure they don’t sink to the bottom.
- Frosting. The texture of the frosting should be thick and creamy. It needs to be firm in order to hold a point when you pipe it on.
- Decorations. I like to add an additional mini Cadbury egg on top to make the cupcakes extra festive. So cute!
More Easter desserts:
- Carrot cake cupcakes
- Layered Easter egg cake
- Coconut macaroons
- Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- Chocolate egg nests
- 15 ounce box devil's food cake mix
- 3.4 ounce box chocolate pudding mix , dry
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 24 mini Cadbury caramel eggs
- 4 large Cadbury caramel eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, chocolate pudding and chocolate chips. Stir until combined. Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and water. Finally mix in the sour cream.
- Then scoop the caramel out of the large Cadbury eggs and set aside. Chop up the chocolate from the eggs and stir into the batter.
- Pour batter into the cupcake liners (about 3/4 the way full). Then place a mini Cadbury egg in the center of the cupcake.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until they spring back when touched. Do not over cook. You can also test with a tooth pick to make sure the centers are cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and allow cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack.
- Melt the caramel in a microwave safe bowl.
- Whip butter in a large mixing bowl. Next slowly add in 2 cups powdered sugar and mix. Then add vanilla, milk/cream, melted caramel and 1 more cup of powdered sugar. Add last cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add more or less milk/cream to reach desired consistency.
- Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes, then top with mini Cadbury egg if desired.