Chicken Noodle Soup – The perfect comfort soup on a chilly day. Simple to make and full of delicious flavor. This easy chicken noodle soup will become an instant favorite!
I love the classic flavors in chicken noodle soup. It’s the ultimate comfort soup that’s perfect on a gloomy day. Some of my favorites with similar flavors are chicken and rice soup, chicken gnocchi soup, chicken pot pie soup and leftover turkey soup.
Easy chicken noodle soup
With September just around the corner, I thought it was time I started posting some of my favorite soups. First up? This easy chicken noodle soup recipe! It’s so delicious and is perfect on a chilly fall day served with homemade dinner rolls. Yum!
This chicken noodle soup is the perfect recipe for when you don’t have time to make it from scratch. It’s one of my family’s favorites and is on rotation at least once a month from September through March. It is so good!
It’s also great for when you’re under the weather. Whenever I feel a cold coming on, I always crave a bowl of chicken noodle soup. It’s one of those comfort meals that is actually pretty healthy too.
How to make chicken noodle soup
Step 1: Cook onions and garlic
In a medium-sized stockpot, melt butter over medium-heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Then slowly add in flour and stir until it forms into a thick, golden brown paste.
Step 2: Add chicken stock, veggies and spices
Slowly whisk in chicken stock and bring to a light simmer. Then add chicken, carrots, celery, lemon juice, parsley and thyme. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Step 3: Stir in noodles and simmer
Add the egg noodles and simmer for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until both the noodles and chicken are cooked. Remove from heat and S&P to taste. Top with fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
You can easily double this chicken noodle soup recipe and freeze half for later. It makes a great freezer meal and is perfect for busy nights where you need something quick and simple.
To freeze: Allow the soup to cool and then place in a zip top bag or freezer container. Then place in the freezer. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator (set in a pan so it doesn’t make a mess) or in the sink. Then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More soup recipes:
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Easy Lasagna Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion , chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 32 ounces chicken stock , 4 cups
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast , cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 1/2 cups dry egg noodles
S&P, to taste
- Melt butter in a medium-sized stockpot over medium-heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until the onions become translucent. Slowly stir in flour and stir until it becomes a thick paste and turns a light golden brown.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock and bring to a light simmer. Add chicken, carrots, celery, lemon juice, parsley and thyme. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in noodles and simmer for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until the noodles and chicken are cooked. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with fresh parsley if desired.