Simple homemade whipped cream made with only 3 ingredients in less than 5 minutes! So light, fluffy and absolutely delicious. You’ll never go back to the store-bought version once you try this easy recipe!
Tis’ the season of homemade pies (topped with cream of course)! I just love this time of year. Crazy to think that Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away. Every year on Thanksgiving we have an assortment of pies and of course whipped cream to go on top.
Once you make this homemade recipe, you’ll never go back to store-bought! It’s so simple to make and tastes 100 times better than the canned stuff. Trust me, you’re going to love the from scratch version. It not only tastes great on pies, but is delicious dipped with fruit or on top of breakfasts, drinks, cakes and more.
3 simple ingredients
To start out making this recipe, you just need 3 simple ingredients. They are all staples at my house, so we usually have everything on hand. :)
- Cream: Cold heavy cream works best.
- Sugar: My preference is powdered sugar, but granulated sugar also works too.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds to the classic flavor.
How to make whipped cream – 3 ways!
Scroll down for the printable recipe and step-by-step video tutorial.
- Kitchen aid: Start out by placing your whisk and bowl in the freezer. Then whip the ingredients together until a peak forms.
- In a blender: Place the blender in the freezer and then blend until a peak forms.
- Bowl + whisk: Place both in the freezer and then put your muscles to work the good ol’ fashioned way. :)
- Freeze your bowl and beaters: Place your mixing bowl and beaters (or whisk) in the freezer for about 15 minutes prior to using them. The stiff peaks will form faster this way.
- Cool whip replacement: If you’re making a dessert and don’t have cool whip on hand, just whip up a batch of this easy whipped cream and use as a 1:1 replacement. I personally like it better than cool whip anyways!
- Make stable: Turn this recipe into stabilized whipped cream by adding unflavored gelatin. This way it will hold it’s shape for longer and stay sturdy on top of your favorite desserts.
Favorite ways to use it:
- Pies: You can’t have pie without whipped cream! Serve it on top of coconut cream pie, strawberry pie or a chocolate silk pie.
- Cakes: Use it to make a jello poke cake, tres leches cake or strawberry shortcake trifle.
- Ice Cream: Spread on top of an ice cream cake or use as a topping on banana splits.
- No-Bake Desserts: Add it as a layer in chocolate lasagna, banana pudding or an Oreo ice cream cake.
- Breakfasts: Use it as a topping for nutella crepes or chocolate chip pancakes.
- Drinks: Top hot chocolate or butterbeer with a dollop.
Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2-4 Tablespoons powdered or granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a medium-large sized mixing bowl and the beaters into a freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the cream, sugar and vanilla into the chilled bowl. Beat on low until the ingredients are mixed together, then beat on high until a peak forms (about 2 minutes).
- Enjoy on your favorite pie and desserts!