Learn to make homemade whipped cream with only 3 ingredients in less than 5 minutes! It’s so easy and the perfect topping for desserts.
Table of Contents
Easy Whipped Cream Recipe
Tis’ the season of homemade pies (topped with cream of course)! I just love this time of year. Crazy to think that Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away. Every year on Thanksgiving we have an assortment of pies and of course whipped cream to go on top.
Once you make this homemade recipe, you’ll never go back to store-bought! It’s so simple to make and tastes 100 times better than the canned stuff. Trust me, you’re going to love the from scratch version. It not only tastes great on pies, but is delicious dipped with fruit or on top of breakfasts, drinks, cakes and more.
To start out making this recipe, you just need 3 simple ingredients. They are all staples at my house, so we usually have everything on hand. :)
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Cream: Cold heavy cream works best.
- Sugar: My preference is powdered sugar, but granulated sugar also works too.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds to the classic flavor.
Favorite Ways to Use It
- Pies: You can’t have pie without whipped cream! Serve it on top of coconut cream pie, strawberry pie or a chocolate silk pie.
- Cakes: Use it to make a crepe cake recipe, jello poke cake or tres leches cake.
- Ice Cream: Spread on top of an ice cream cake or use as a topping on banana splits.
- No-Bake Desserts: Add it as a layer in chocolate lasagna, banana pudding or an Oreo ice cream cake.
- Breakfasts: Use it as a topping for nutella crepes or chocolate chip pancakes.
- Drinks: Top white hot chocolate or butterbeer with a dollop.
How to Make Homemade Whipped Cream
Scroll down for the printable recipe and step-by-step video tutorial.
- Kitchen aid: Start out by placing your whisk attachment and the bowl of a standing mixer in the freezer. Then whip the ingredients together until soft peaks form.
- In a blender: Place the blender in the freezer and then blend until a peak forms.
- Bowl + whisk: Place both in the freezer and then put your muscles to work the good ol’ fashioned way. :)
- Freeze your bowl and beaters: Place your mixing bowl and beaters (or whisk) in the freezer for about 15 minutes prior to using them. The stiff peaks will form faster this way.
- Cool whip replacement: If you’re making a dessert and don’t have cool whip on hand, just whip up a batch of this easy whipped cream and use as a 1:1 replacement. I personally like it better than cool whip anyways!
- Make stable: Turn this recipe into stabilized whipped cream by adding unflavored gelatin. This way it will hold it’s shape for longer and stay sturdy on top of your favorite desserts.
Yes, I have heard that coconut cream can be a great dairy-free substitute that works well.
To use this as a frosting, you are going to want it to be a bit thicker. I would recommend whipping the cream to soft peaks and then adding vanilla and powdered sugar until you get stiff peaks. You could even add a few drops of food coloring to make it more decorative, if you like.
Absolutely! You can swap the vanilla extract for peppermint, orange, or almond extracts.
More Ways to Use Whipped Cream
Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2-4 Tablespoons powdered sugar or granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a medium to large bowl and electric beaters (or whisk attachment and a stand mixer bowl) in the freezer and chill 15 minutes.
- In the chilled bowl, add the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Using an electric mixer fitted with chilled beaters, beat on low until combined. Beat on high 2 minutes, or until soft peaks form.
- Enjoy on your favorite pie and desserts!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!