Chocolate Fudge Caramel Brownies – Easy to make brownies that are loaded with chocolate chips and layers of gooey caramel. Rich, chewy and simply amazing!
If you’re a chocolate or caramel lover, you are going to swoon over these caramel fudge brownies! They are the perfect combination of both flavors and have the best soft and chewy texture. Some of my other top brownie recipes are German chocolate brownies, cheesecake brownies, thin mint brownies and brownie cookies.
This caramel brownie recipe in an oldie but a goodie! It starts with a box of brownie mix, making them super easy to whip up. The secret is mixing in extra chocolate chips and then adding in a layer of caramel in between. Plus I love the perfect touch that the sweetened condensed milk adds. Yum!
It’s a family tradition to bake a treat on Sundays and these caramel brownies make an appearance quite often. They are quick, easy and taste amazing. They’re super rich and fudgy, with gooey caramel oozing out. And they’re studded with chocolate chips, making every bite perfection. These caramel brownies are perfect for chocolate lovers!
Ingredients for caramel fudge brownies
What makes this caramel brownie recipe so easy is that you simply just doctor up a box of fudge brownie mix. The chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and caramel add the perfect dimension and take these fudge caramel brownies over the top. So rich and decadent!
- Box of fudge brownie mix: I used Duncan Hines, but feel free to use package of choice.
- Vegetable oil: This helps to make the brownies super moist and soft.
- Eggs: You’ll need 2 large eggs for this caramel brownie recipe.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Don’t skip this! It gives the brownies the perfect sweetness.
- Chocolate chips: The more chocolate the better! :)
- Caramel: You can use either caramel bits or wrapped caramels.
How to make caramel brownies from a box
Scroll down for the printable caramel brownie recipe and video tutorial.
- Preheat oven and spray pan. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9×9 pan with foil. Spray foil with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Mix together ingredients (except caramel). In a large bowl, combine brownie mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Then mix in 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips.
- Make caramel mixture. Combine caramels and 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir and add another 15 -30 seconds if needed.
- Assemble brownies. Pour half of the batter into the pan, then pour the caramel over top. Add remaining batter on top of caramel and evenly spread.
- Bake. Bake brownies for about 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, cut and enjoy! Remove pan from oven and let cool. Then lift foil and caramel brownies out of the pan for easy cutting.
Can you freeze caramel brownies?
Yes, these caramel brownies freeze well. Once they have cooled completely, simply wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then again with foil. To thaw, let sit at room temperature until no longer frozen.
Quick tips for caramel brownie recipe
- Line your pan with aluminum foil AND spray foil with nonstick spray. This is great for easy removal and keeps them from sticking!
- Use a plastic knife to easily cut the brownies without them falling apart (check out this post for more tips!).
- Feel free to make your fudge brownies from scratch if you’d prefer.
- Cook them a little longer if you’re not a fan of gooey brownies.
- If you’re a caramel lover, you can double the caramel layer. A reader did this and said it turned out amazing!
Caramel Brownie Recipe
- 18 ounce package fudge brownie mix , I used Duncan Hines
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk , divided
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 11 ounces caramel bits , or wrapped caramels
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the fudge brownie mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Then mix in 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk and the chocolate chips.
- Next, combine your caramels and 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir and add another 15-30 seconds if needed.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan. Then pour the caramel over top. Add the remaining batter to the top of the caramel and spread out evenly.
- Bake the brownies for approximately 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool. Then lift the foil and brownies out of the pan for easy cutting.
We all loved these caramel fudge brownies! I love anything with the words chocolate and caramel. ;)