Easy to make chocolate caramel brownies that are loaded with chocolate chips and layers of gooey caramel. Rich, chewy and simply amazing!
Table of Contents
Homemade Chocolate Caramel Brownies
This recipe is an oldie but a goodie! Instead of making homemade brownies from scratch, it starts with a box of brownie mix. Then the secret is mixing in extra chocolate chips and then adding a layer of caramel in between. So rich and decadent!
It’s a family tradition to bake a treat on Sundays and these caramel brownies make an appearance quite often. They are quick, easy and taste amazing. They’re super rich and fudgy, with gooey caramel oozing out. Plus I love the perfect touch that the sweetened condensed milk adds. They’re also studded with chocolate chips, making every bite perfection.
You are going to LOVE them if you are a chocolate lover like me. I love anything with the words chocolate and caramel, like this toffee recipe, only these brownies are much easier than making candy on a whim. ;)
What makes this recipe so simple is that you simply just doctor up a box of fudge brownie mix! The chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and caramel add the perfect dimension and take these chocolate caramel brownies over the top.
- Box of fudge brownie mix: I used Duncan Hines, but feel free to use favorite brand of choice.
- Vegetable oil: This helps to make the brownies super moist and soft.
- Eggs: You’ll need 2 large eggs.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Don’t skip this! It gives the brownies the perfect sweetness.
- Chocolate chips: The more chocolate, the better! :)
- Caramel: You can use either caramel bits or wrapped caramels.
How to Make Caramel Brownies
- Mix batter. In a large bowl, combine brownie mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Then mix in 2 Tablespoons sweetened condensed milk and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Make caramel mixture. Combine caramels and sweetened condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir and add another 15 -30 seconds if needed.
- Layer. Pour half of the batter into a greased 9×9″ pan, then pour the caramel over top. Add remaining batter on top of caramel and evenly spread.
- Bake. Bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool. Remove pan from oven and let cool. Then use a knife to cut the brownies into squares.
- Line your pan. Press foil in the pan for easy clean up and removal. I like to leave enough hanging over the edges so that I can easily lift the brownies out of the pan once they’ve cooled.
- Batter. The box mix definitely makes this recipe easier, but feel free to make homemade brownies from scratch if you’d prefer.
- Double caramel. If you’re a caramel lover, you can double the caramel layer. A reader did this and said it turned out amazing!
- Texture. These brownies are super fudgy and gooey. Cook them a little longer if you’re not a fan of gooey brownies.
- Let cool. As tempting as it is, don’t cut into them as soon as they come out of the oven. They need time to set so that they won’t fall apart.
- Slicing. Use a plastic knife to easily cut the brownies without them falling apart.
- Freezing. Once they have cooled completely, simply wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then again with foil. Then place in the freezer. To thaw, let sit at room temperature until no longer frozen.
More Easy Brownie Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Chocolate Caramel Brownies
- 1 (18-ounce) box fudge brownie mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons (6 ounces) sweetened condensed milk , divided
- 11 ounces Caramel Bits , or wrapped caramels (see notes)
- Chocolate chips , optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9-inch baking dish with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brownie mix, water, oil, and eggs until combined. Add 2 Tablespoons condensed milk and 1/2 – 1 cup chocolate chips, if using.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine caramel bits and remaining 1/2 cup condensed milk. Microwave 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 15 to 30 more, if needed, until caramel is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Spread 1/2 the batter into the baking dish. Pour the caramel sauce evenly over the top. Add the remaining batter and spread out evenly. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in baking dish before removing for easier cutting.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Can caramel sauce be used in this recipe?
Unfortunately it’s too thin and I think will spill out