Fudgy cheesecake brownies swirled with a cream cheese filling and chocolate chips. Super soft, rich and the ultimate chocolate lover’s dream dessert!
These are such a fun and delicious twist on classic brownies. I doctored a box mix to make things a little easier and they tasted amazing, especially when you add a few of my secret ingredients. But you can absolutely use my homemade brownie recipe instead if you’d like. Either way is delicious!
This cheesecake brownie recipe is my husband’s favorite and is requested A LOT! They start with a layer of fudge brownie studded with chocolate chips, a layer of cheesecake and then another brownie layer with chocolate chips on top. They are super fudgy and rich. Talk about a chocolate lover’s dream dessert!
My kids helped me whip these up and they each took turns stirring the batter. They may have snuck the spoon after too and I don’t blame them. :) Brownie batter is almost as good as the finished dessert! I love to swirl the batter and cream cheese mixture to give them that beautiful marbled design. So much swirled goodness. Make sure to have a tall and cold glass of milk ready with these gooey cream cheese brownies!
How to make cheesecake brownies
These marbled cheesecake brownies are simple to make and come together in under an hour. Just follow the steps below to get started.
Step 1: Make the batter
Place brownie mix in a large bowl and add in butter, buttermilk, vanilla, egg and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Stir until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes.
Step 2: Cheesecake layer
In a medium bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla with an electric mixture for about 1 minute, until smooth and creamy.
Step 3: Layer and swirl
Place half of the brownie batter in a foil-lined 9×9″ baking dish (make sure to spray with nonstick spray first). Then add cream cheese mixture on top and smooth with a spatula. To make the marbled effect, add about 9 scoops of remaining brownie batter on top of cream cheese filling. Swirl each scoop with a knife, similar to the photo below. Then sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top.
Step 5: Bake in oven
Place in oven and bake at 325°F for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Remove from oven and allow to set for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Remove foil from pan, then slice into squares.
Baking tips and storage
- Make sure to line your pan with foil. This helps with cleanup, removal and makes cutting the brownies easier.
- Make your own buttermilk if you don’t have any on hand. Just place 1 tsp into the milk and let sit for a few minutes.
- Instead of adding chocolate chips, feel free to use brownie mix with chocolate chips already included.
- I use a plastic knife to cut my brownies. Make sure they have cooled at least 30 minutes before cutting.
Storing + freezing
Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. To freeze, wrap each brownie individually in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag or container. Then store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge overnight or set out on counter for a few hours before enjoying.
More brownie recipes you’ll love:
- Peanut butter brownies
- Chocolate fudge caramel brownies
- Oreo brownies
- Frosted fudge brownies
- Red velvet brownies
Cheesecake Brownie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9×9″ pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the brownie mix, butter, buttermilk, vanilla, egg and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Stir for 2 minutes, or until smooth. Add a Tablespoon or two more of milk if needed to thin the batter.
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate for 10 minute if gets too thin.
- Place half of the brownie batter in the pan and then spread the cream cheese mixture evenly on top. Then add 9 scoops of the brownie batter on top of cream cheese filling. Swirl with a knife to create a marble effect. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake cheesecake brownies for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Remove from the oven and allow to set for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Remove foil from pan then slice.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of milk! :)