Easy homemade brownies that are fudgy, moist, and will literally melt in your mouth. All you need is one bowl and a whisk to make the best brownies that are exploding with chocolate flavor!
Table of Contents
Best Homemade Brownies
If you’ve followed me for a while, you know my chocolate caramel brownies or cake mix brownies recipes have been long-standing favorites of mine. They both use a box mix and are so gooey and delicious. But I think these homemade brownies from scratch may be the new winner. They are seriously divine!
I’ve been on the hunt for a better-than-box brownie for years! My family loves the Ghiradelli brownie from the box mix and I’ve been determined to make a from scratch version. This recipe comes pretty darn close and my husband even declared them the BEST EVER!
I absolutely love these warm fresh out of the oven, but try to resist cutting into them too soon as you don’t want them to fall apart. These brownies literally melt in your mouth and are exploding with chocolate flavor.
With both this recipe and my Oreo brownies, it’s best to grab a glass of milk before digging in, so good!
This recipe is so simple to make and is ready in under 30 minutes. All you need is one bowl and a whisk. It uses pantry staple ingredients and I bet you have everything on hand to make them. I cannot wait for you to try them!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is best for this homemade brownie recipe. Brownies are not meant to have too much salt in them. Melt the butter ahead of time.
- Vegetable oil: This will moisten the brownies as it is being baked.
- Sugar: Use both granulated sugar and light brown sugar. Together they make a sweet texture but also the brown sugar will help moisten the brownies giving them that soft texture.
- Eggs: Leave your eggs out at room temperature. This is a baking tip that will help with your brownie batter when baking in the oven.
- Vanilla extract: Just a pinch will give this a delicious vanilla flavor.
- All-purpose flour: This is the base of the recipe. The flour will thicken the brownies in the dry ingredients.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: For the best brownie recipe, you have to have the chocolate. This cocoa powder will give the delicious chocolatey flavor these brownies need.
- Kosher sea salt: Sprinkle salt into the dry ingredients giving it the sweet and salty flavor it is needing.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: Fold the chocolate chips in the mix. They are thicker and larger which is hard to whisk into the brownie batter. Chocolate chunks are delicious too!
How to Make Brownies from Scratch
The perfect brownie recipe is right here! You will love the texture that is soft, fudgy, and gooey deliciousness in every bite. The taste of these brownies is priceless and you will never go back to a box again!
- Mix. Whisk together the melted butter, oil, and both sugars in a large bowl. Next whisk in the eggs and vanilla for about one minute.
- Combine. Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt into the wet ingredients until just barely combined. Do not over-mix. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake. Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool. Remove the baking pan from the oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes. Use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the brownies from the pan and move them to a cooling rack. Once cooled, use a plastic knife to cut into 16 squares.
Follow these quick and easy cooking tips to make the best-baked brownies! We love a good chocolatey brownie and making it from scratch is even better. Use these tips to help make your homemade brownies taste amazingly delicious with a few ideas here.
- Melt butter. Make sure to use hot melted butter to help create the crackly top.
- Whisk eggs. Make sure to whisk the eggs really well before adding the flour.
- Don’t overmix. Do not over-mix after the flour has been added, this would create a more dense, cake-like brownie.
- High-quality chocolate. Use high-quality chocolate for ultimate flavor. This gives you delicious flavor but also helps with baking. You can even use a milk or dark chocolate chip too!
- Make it look good! Add a few extra chocolate chips on top of the batter to make the brownies extra pretty.
- Wait to cool. Try to resist cutting them straight out of the oven, or else they’ll fall apart.
- Double the recipe. Feel free to double the recipe and pour it into a 9×13″ pan. They may need to bake a few minutes longer.
The five ingredients are sugar, flour, cocoa, oil, and artificial flavor. Making homemade brownies helps know what is in the recipe as well as in your body.
A fudgy brownie is dependent on the ratio of fat to flour. There is usually more fat than flour for a fudgy type brownie compared to a cakey brownie. A cakey brownie has more flour than fat.
Brownie recipes do not have baking powder or baking soda in the ingredients. They are known for being dense and chewy. Cakelike brownies usually have a leavening agent that helps give them their fluffy texture.
There are a few factors that help keep brownies moist. Make sure to only cut the brownies when you are ready to enjoy them. This will help keep them moist. Place them in an airtight container or freezer bag to store them. Keep them at room temperature but store them in the refrigerator to store for a few extra days.
5 star review
“Oh my gosh…. These brownies are amazing!!!! I’ve been trying to find a recipe that I could make dairy-free but they’re just not right. These are great thank you.”-Doris
Storing Homemade Brownies
If you are lucky enough to have these homemade brownies last longer than a day, store them in an airtight container for five to six days. When ready to enjoy place them in the microwave for seven seconds and enjoy a warm and ooey-gooey delicious treat!
Wait until the brownies have cooled completely, then cut into squares. Wrap the individual brownies tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag or container and store them in the freezer. The brownies will keep in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, unwrap and let thaw at room temperature for a few hours.
More Easy Brownies Recipes
Homemade Brownie Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup (198 g) white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (45 g) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (65 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (45 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher sea salt , can sub for regular salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips , optional but recommended
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8" pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with non-stick spray. I like to leave enough parchment paper to easily lift them out.
- In a large bowl whisk the butter, vegetable oil, sugar, and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk for about a minute.
- Next add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir just until barely combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Be careful to not over mix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Allow to cool slightly in the pan and then you can remove the brownies with the parchment paper to finish cooling. Once cooled, cut brownies into 16 squares with a plastic knife.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!