The BEST German chocolate brownies loaded with chocolate, caramel and an amazing coconut pecan frosting. Super rich and full of chocolate goodness!
Table of Contents
Best German Chocolate Brownies
So I came up with the most AMAZING dessert recipe a few weeks ago….German chocolate BROWNIES! My family loves German chocolate cake and these German chocolate cookies, but mainly because of the frosting! The frosting is DIVINE!
I’m not really the biggest cake lover, but brownies are a whole different story! So I decided to combine my love of brownies, chocolate, caramel and coconut frosting to create these german chocolate brownies.
They are super rich and full of chocolate goodness. Trust me, you’ll want to file this recipe away!
If you know me, you know I’m all about dressing up a box of cake mix or brownie mix. These oreo brownies are some of our favorites! It helps simplify the baking process and still turns out so delicious. It makes it so simple and gives you time to focus on the homemade coconut frosting, which really is the star of the show!
3 Delicious Layers
Jump to the printable recipe for the full ingredients and instructions!
- Brownies: The first layer starts with a classic brownie base. I used a box of my favorite brownie mix to make thing easier, but you could definitely make homemade brownies from scratch if you’d like. I also love mixing in some semi sweet chocolate chips for even more chocolate flavor.
- Caramel: Next comes a layer of gooey caramel. All you need to do is melt the caramel bits until smooth, then spread the caramel over top of the cooled brownies. You can skip this step if you prefer, but I love the extra gooeyness it adds.
- Coconut pecan frosting: The last layer is a rich and divine coconut pecan frosting. It’s perfectly thick and delicious and tastes amazing paired with the chocolate and caramel. After adding the frosting, I like to also add a drizzle of melted chocolate and a sprinkle of chopped pecans.
How to Make German Chocolate Brownies
- Make: Bake your brownies according to package or recipe directions.
- Melt: Place your caramels in a bowl and melt down until smooth.
- Drizzle: Add that caramel evenly over the cooled brownies.
- Cook: Combine the coconut frosting ingredients and cook according to directions.
- Spread: Gently spread the frosting over the top of the caramel.
- Slice: Cut the brownies and serve.
- After you bake the brownies in the oven, check them with a toothpick to make sure they come clean.
- Use fresh flaked coconut to make the coconut pecan frosting. It definitely makes a difference!
- For my chocolate lovers: drizzle chocolate on top of the brownies (before the caramel) or add chocolate chips to the brownie batter like I do in my cake mix brownies recipe.
- Make sure each layer has cooled completely before adding the next on top.
- I recommend refrigerating the brownies after frosting and adding toppings. They are easier to cut when hardened. A plastic knife works best to cut them.
- The frosting makes a lot, so you can also bake in a 9×13″ pan and use 2 boxes of brownie mix to have more squares.
- You can always sprinkle the tops with a little bit of flake sea salt for to cut the sweetness.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make sure to beat your eggs and sugar well. Also, make sure to not over bake, so the center stays soft.
Use milk instead of water and add extra chocolate chips in the batter. Make sure to not over bake them and also to add a frosting on top.
The term can refer to chocolate made in Germany, baking chocolate or a German chocolate cake. The coconut pecan frosting on top of these brownies makes them German chocolate brownies.
More Delicious Brownie Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
German Chocolate Brownies
- 1 (18-ounce) box brownie mix , plus ingredients on box
- 1 cup caramel bits
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup butter , or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut , make sure it's fresh
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Bake brownies according to package in a 9×9-inch pan. Let cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, cook caramel bits and heavy creamy for 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted. Drizzle over brownies. Let cool.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- In a large saucepan, stir together butter, egg yolks, sugar, milk, and vanilla over medium heat 10 minutes, or until thickened (make sure to stir consistently). Add coconut and pecans.
- Spread frosting over top of caramel. Top with melted chocolate and pecans, if desired. Chill before slicing into 16 squares.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I am going too make them
I so love these brownies. They are definitely my go-to recipe!
Seriously the best German Chocolate Brownies EVER! Even better than my grandma used to make.
So glad you enjoyed them :)