The BEST German chocolate brownies loaded with chocolate, caramel and an amazing coconut pecan frosting. Super rich and full of chocolate goodness!
So I came up with the most AMAZING dessert recipe a few weeks ago….German chocolate BROWNIES! My family loves German chocolate cake and I do too, but mainly because of the frosting! The frosting is DIVINE! I eat it by the spoonful, although I probably shouldn’t admit that. ;)
I’m not really the biggest cake lover, but brownies are a whole different story! So I decided to combine my love of brownies, chocolate, caramel and coconut frosting to create these naughty little treats. They are super rich and full of chocolate goodness. Trust me, you’ll want to file this recipe away!
If you know me, you know I’m all about dressing up a box of cake mix or brownie mix. It helps simplify the baking process and still turns out so delicious. That’s why I used premade brownie mix in this. It makes it so simple and gives you time to focus on the homemade coconut pecan frosting, which really is the star of the show!
3 delicious layers
- Brownies: The first layer starts with a classic brownie base. I used a box of my favorite brownie mix to make thing easier, but you could definitely make homemade brownies from scratch if you’d like. I also love mixing in some semi sweet chocolate chips for even more chocolate flavor.
- Caramel: Next comes a layer of gooey caramel. All you need to do is melt the caramel bits until smooth, then spread the caramel over top of the cooled brownies.
- Coconut pecan frosting: The last layer is a rich and divine coconut pecan frosting. It’s perfectly thick and delicious and tastes amazing paired with the chocolate and caramel. After adding the frosting, I like to also add a drizzle of melted chocolate and a sprinkle of chopped pecans.
- Use fresh flaked coconut to make the coconut pecan frosting. It definitely makes a difference!
- For my chocolate lovers: drizzle chocolate on top of the brownies (before the caramel) or add chocolate chips to the brownie batter.
- Make sure each layer has cooled completely before adding the next on top.
- I recommend refrigerating the brownies after frosting and adding toppings. They are easier to cut when hardened. A plastic knife works best to cut them.
- The frosting makes a lot, so you can also bake in a 9×13″ pan and use 2 boxes of brownie mix to have more squares.
More delicious brownie recipes:
German Chocolate Brownies
- 18 ounce box brownie mix , plus ingredients on box
- 1 cup caramel bits
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Bake brownies according to package in a 9×9" pan. Allow to cool.
- Melt caramel bits and heavy creamy in microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 30 second increments (stirring occasionally) until melted. Then drizzle over brownies.
- Make frosting by combining butter, egg yolks, sugar, milk, and vanilla in a large saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes (make sure to stir consistently). Add coconut and pecans.
- Spread frosting over top of caramel. Top with melted chocolate and pecans if desired. Allow to cool before slicing. Then slice into 16 squares.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Mmm!! Don’t you want to just take a bite?! Grab a cup of milk, you’re going to need it with these bad boys!